The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Documentation on B language?
@ 2016-03-09 12:34 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2016-03-09 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Brantley Coile

    > But B's ++ and -- operators seem to be unique.

B seems to be like UNIX itself in this regard: a carefully selected set of
old ideas, along with a few new ones of equal value.

	Noel

* [TUHS] Documentation on B language?
@ 2016-03-09 21:34 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2016-03-09 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

According to Ken, the inspiration for ++ and -- came
from the PDP-7 hardware, not from previous languages.
The PDP-7 supported only ++i, where i had to be one
of only a few memory addresses. "For symmetry", Ken
says, he put all four operations in B. (And he did
not use the hardware autoincrement.)
Doug

* [TUHS] Documentation on B language?
@ 2016-03-08 13:01 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2016-03-08 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/kbman.html
>> https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/bintro.html

> Yup, there certainly were different versions of B.

Yes, kbman covers only one of the two implementations that
cohabited the PDP-11. The other was the same language, with
software paging, so it could have a larger data space.

Various aspects of the language were borrowed from PL/I,
BCPL and Algol 68. ++ and -- were novel operators. The
reversal of Algol's assignment operators (e.g. -=
became =-) was eventually repealed in C.

doug

* [TUHS]  Documentation on B language?
@ 2016-03-07  0:57 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2016-03-07  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some starting points on B:

https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/kbman.html
https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/bintro.html

Probably not exactly the PDP-7 edition, but near enough for reading
at least.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Documentation on B language?
@ 2016-03-07  0:20 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-03-07  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

So the PDP-7 code from Norman has a B interpreter. I know the history:
BCPL -> B -> NB -> C, but I don't recall seeing a decent decription of
the B language. Does anybody know of such a document? We'll need something
like this so we can use the interpreter once we get it working :-)

Cheers, Warren