Ronald Natalie scripsit: > Hard to believe the 8086 chip was “optimized” for anything. > The instruction set was designed for programming terminals. Well, yes. But the four separate address spaces work fine for Pascal, where it is always statically known whether a pointer is to code, global data, the stack (internal only), or the heap. For C they were nothing but a nuisance: C can handle separate I & D space, but that's all. -- John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan cowan at ccil.org What asininity could I have uttered that they applaud me thus? --Phocion, Greek orator