Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote: |On Thursday, 7 July 2016 at 16:18:41 +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote: |> Nemo wrote: |>> On 7 July 2016 at 01:02, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote: |>>> On Friday, 1 July 2016 at 21:13:00 -0400, Steve Nickolas wrote: |>>>> On Fri, 1 Jul 2016, Norman Wilson wrote: |>>>> |>>>>> I suspect Yanks being pedantic about `slash' versus `forward slash' |>>>>> would give an Englishman a stroke. |>> On the other hand, the OED has the following. |>> |>> slash 5. A thin sloping line, thus / |>> |>> solidus 2. A sloping line used to separate shillings from pence, as 12/6, |>> in writing fractions, and for other separations of figures and letters; a |>> shilling-mark. |>> I would argue "solidus" is closer. |> |> SOLIDUS is the Unicode name, too, as is REVERSE SOLIDUS, giving |> SLASH and BACKSLASH as secondaries. | |Finally we have clarity! From now on it's only (without shouting) Copied and pasted from UnicodeData.txt. |solidus and reverse solidus. No confusion any more, at least not for |those in the know. Maybe it helps that the German «Schrägstrich» will desert into Slash («Herkunft: englisch slash, eigentlich = (harter, kurzer) Schlag, Hieb, laut- und bewegungsnachahmend oder zu altfranzösisch esclachier = (zer)teilen») and that a furtherly described Schrägstrich will wind up in «Backslash» («Herkunft: englisch backslash, aus: back = zurück und slash = Hieb, Schnitt») It gives me cause for concern that we replace a civil word like «Schrägstrich» ("oblique bar") with something aggressive and dismembering that slash seems to represent. That may be a reason for Linguists to promote solidus and ban the other words into the commentary, one might think. ...and that actually makes me wonder why the engineers that created what became POSIX preferred slash instead -- i hope it is not the proud of high skills in using (maybe light) sabers that some people of the engineer community seem to foster. But it could be the sober truth. Or, it could be a bug caused by inconsideration. And that seems very likely now. --steffen