The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Of login names
@ 2016-07-16 16:54 Dave Horsfall
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2016-07-16 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Time to start a new thread :-)

Back when Unix was really Unix and dinosaurs strode the earth, login names
were restricted to just 8 characters, so you had to be inventive when
signing up lots of students every term (ObUS: semester).

A wonderful Japanese girl, Eriko Kinoshita, applied for an account on some
box somewhere.  Did I mention that login names defaulted to the first 8
characters of the surname?

Understandably annoyed, Plan B for assigning logins was applied, which was
the first name followed by the first letter of the surname.

Sigh...

* [TUHS] Of login names
@ 2016-07-17  8:06 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2016-07-17  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

One gets used to login names. In the 80ish I got 'rubl' and I'm still using it.

Of course in this age of the World Wild Web that may make me easily
trackable. Nothing to hide though :-)

* [TUHS] Of login names
@ 2016-07-17 12:05 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2016-07-17 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gr[aeiou]g Lehey:

  And I wanted greg@, but it was taken.  So I ended up with grog@, and
  I've had that for nearly 30 years.

=====

I was !norman for some years, but when I left Bell
Labs for the real world 26 years ago, I was forced
to switch to norman at .

That was part of the price I paid for trading suburban
New Jersey for downtown Toronto.  On the whole it was
a more-than-satisfactory trade, and emerging to the
real world broadened my perspectives in many areas,
but being stuck with Hideous Naming was certainly a
minor disadvantage.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON
research!norman no more

[parent not found: <mailman.79.1468802270.30583.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>]
* [TUHS] Of login names
@ 2016-07-18 14:35 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2016-07-18 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just to be clear: I don't pine at all for UUCP.

I do still think it's a mistake that e-mail addresses and
domain names run backwards from the way directories and
filenames run.  That's what I miss about !norman vs
norman at .

But it's all a Beta-vs-VHS matter these days, like a lot
of unfortunate design decisions that have become standard
over the years.  Like git winning out over hg, which is
sort of like the VAX/VMS command language winning out over
the Bourne shell.  (To toss another pebble into the pond
to see what the ripples look like, rather in the manner
of Rob and Dave.)

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Of login names