The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] looking for source code to University of Illinois "Network Unix"
@ 2016-12-01  8:38 Paul Ruizendaal
From: Paul Ruizendaal @ 2016-12-01  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm looking for the source code to "Network Unix" as described here:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc681
and/or its later development described here:
https://archive.org/details/networkunixsyste243kell

Actually, I'd be happy with finding the source code to any version of this Network Unix. This version of Unix had fairly wide use in the Arpanet community and was in use at several universities and organizations (e.g.: Rand, BBN, etc.)

Would anybody here know of a surviving copy?

Many thanks in advance,

Paul

* [TUHS] looking for source code to University of Illinois "Network Unix"
@ 2016-12-01 14:11 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2016-12-01 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've lost track of Holmgreen who would be your best best.   That said, when
I asked him about it a few years ago, Chesson told me that he had it in his
archives.  @ the time, I thought I had a copy in my CMU archives, but when
I managed to restore the tape I believed to contain it, the "arpanet"
directory was empty.  We must have had it on a separate RK05 image which I
failed to make a copy of when I left.  Dan Klein might have kept a copy and
don't know what Lisa did with Ted Kowalski's archives when he passed two
years ago (I'll try to ask her).

Thinking about it some more, it might be in one of the early USENIX tapes.
  But you'd have to do some digging.  Note if so, remember that the format
of those old tapes will be the original tp program as well as the original
ar, so pulling them apart will take a little work.

FYI:  Assuming I can still read it, I do have a 9-track tape of the MIT
Chaos distribution tape circa '82 from the Steve ward's RTS folks, which I
was under the impression was based on that the UofI kernel hacks for the
NCP; although Noel probably has more complete MIT archives than I.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 3:38 AM, Paul Ruizendaal <pnr at planet.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for the source code to "Network Unix" as described here:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc681
> and/or its later development described here:
> https://archive.org/details/networkunixsyste243kell
>
> Actually, I'd be happy with finding the source code to any version of this
> Network Unix. This version of Unix had fairly wide use in the Arpanet
> community and was in use at several universities and organizations (e.g.:
> Rand, BBN, etc.)
>
> Would anybody here know of a surviving copy?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] looking for source code to University of Illinois "Network Unix"
@ 2016-12-01 20:57   ` Paul Ruizendaal
From: Paul Ruizendaal @ 2016-12-01 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clem,

Once again many thanks for an informative post!

> I've lost track of Holmgreen who would be your best best.
I'm in touch with all the principal authors (Holmgren/Bunch/Grossman) and they do not have source code.

> That said, when I asked him about it a few years ago, Chesson told me that he had it in his archives.
If I'm not mistaken Chesson has passed away a few years ago; I assume I should consider these archives lost?

> Thinking about it some more, it might be in one of the early USENIX tapes. But you'd have to do some digging.  Note if so, remember that the format of those old tapes will be the original tp program as well as the original ar, so pulling them apart will take a little work.

That is an interesting lead. Any suggestion where I might start to look? (I know of http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/, the Shoppa and Spencer tapes, but Network Unix does not seem to be on these tapes).

Paul

* [TUHS] looking for source code to University of Illinois "Network Unix"
@ 2016-12-01 21:01     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2016-12-01 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 09:57:55PM +0100, Paul Ruizendaal wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken Chesson has passed away a few years ago; I assume
> I should consider these archives lost?

I know his ex-wife who handled the estate, I can ask her.

I haven't paid close attention, it's 4.1a BSD you want or something else?

* [TUHS] looking for source code to University of Illinois "Network Unix"
@ 2016-12-01 21:29       ` Paul Ruizendaal
From: Paul Ruizendaal @ 2016-12-01 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I know his ex-wife who handled the estate, I can ask her.
Many thanks!

> I haven't paid close attention, it's 4.1a BSD you want or something else?
4.1a BSD appears within reach, it is "Network Unix" that I am still looking for:

---
I'm looking for the source code to "Network Unix" as described here:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc681
and/or its later development described here:
https://archive.org/details/networkunixsyste243kell

Actually, I'd be happy with finding the source code to any version of this Network Unix.
---

There is also a 1975 paper by Chesson about it (http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=806522), I can send you that if it helps.

Paul

* [TUHS] looking for source code to University of Illinois "Network Unix"
@ 2016-12-01 21:38     ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2016-12-01 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

below

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 3:57 PM, Paul Ruizendaal <pnr at planet.nl> wrote:

> Clem,
>
> Once again many thanks for an informative post!
>
> > I've lost track of Holmgreen who would be your best best.
> I'm in touch with all the principal authors (Holmgren/Bunch/Grossman) and
> they do not have source code.
>
> > That said, when I asked him about it a few years ago, Chesson told me
> that he had it in his archives.
> If I'm not mistaken Chesson has passed away a few years ago;

​Yes.​

> I assume I should consider these archives lost?

​I hope not, but enough people like Larry might be able to talk to his
family.   ​

> > Thinking about it some more, it might be in one of the early USENIX
> tapes. But you'd have to do some digging.  Note if so, remember that the
> format of those old tapes will be the original tp program as well as the
> original ar, so pulling them apart will take a little work.
>
> That is an interesting lead. Any suggestion where I might start to look?
> (I know of http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/, the Shoppa and
> Spencer tapes, but Network Unix does not seem to be on these tapes).

I believe you.   The trick is to just keep asking.  It was around the
Arpanet.  Some of the Rand folks would be a good lead also.  ​

@ 2016-12-01 21:38       ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2016-12-01 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)