The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] The History of Unix
@ 2016-12-02  4:25 Angus Robinson
From: Angus Robinson @ 2016-12-02  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I am sure there must have been an email about this if so, I do apologies.

The below link is from Diomidis Spinellis work, I remember seeinng an email
from him a few months ago requesting some information about the history of
BSD. Looking at it, he has done some amazing work. I look forward to
playing with 386BSD!

https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] The History of Unix
@ 2016-12-02  5:47 ` Jacob Goense
From: Jacob Goense @ 2016-12-02  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-12-01 23:25, Angus Robinson wrote:
> I look
> forward to playing with 386BSD!
>
> https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo

If you are into 386BSD there is also
https://github.com/386bsd/386bsd

It has sources for the pre Net/2 release. This was
originally a floppy sized set of patches against BSD.

386BSD 1.0 sources. The full distribution was
released as CD-ROM together with a lot of
documentation. I dumped it at
https://github.com/dugoh/386bsdcd if you care
to boot it up.

386BSD 2.0 sources, I think this was released
as an update disk originally and put online
this summer by the Jolitzes.

Warning on 1.0 and 2.0, the copyright notice is
not compatible with BSD.

I had a lot of fun running 0.1 with patch kits.
http://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_386BSD_on_BOCHS

An attempt to automate that guide with the help of
Travis stranded due to maximum build times, but
Moore will catch up one day.

* [TUHS] The History of Unix
@ 2016-12-02  5:58   ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2016-12-02  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I had a lot of fun running 0.1 with patch kits.
> http://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_386BSD_on_BOCHS

I had a lot of fun running 386BSD on 80486 based laptops.  I remember
going into Fry's and booting up off the floppy.

The hours I have spent messing with operating systems are a bunch,
don't regret any of it.

* [TUHS] The History of Unix
@ 2016-12-02  8:09 ` Diomidis Spinellis
From: Diomidis Spinellis @ 2016-12-02  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Angus for your kind words.

As a reminder, if your current GitHub account is not linked to your past
Unix contributions, (you can search them through
http://www.spinellis.gr/cgi-bin/namegrep.pl), associate your past email
(e.g. clemc at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU) with your current account through your
GitHub account settings https://github.com/settings/emails. (Contact me
for instructions on how to add email addresses to which you no longer
have access.)

An extended description of the Unix history repository has now been
published by the "Empirical Software Engineering" journal.  You can find
my self-archived preprint at
http://www.spinellis.gr/pubs/jrnl/2016-EMPSE-unix-history/html/unix-history.html
and
http://www.spinellis.gr/pubs/jrnl/2016-EMPSE-unix-history/html/unix-history.pdf
(The official version is available through
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10664-016-9445-5.)