The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Dennis' Draft of the Unix Timesharing System: not so draft?
@ 2016-12-17 22:34 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-12-17 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

All, I'm writing a paper based on my June 2016 talk on PDP-7 Unix. As part
of that I was looking at the BCPL -> B -> NB -> C history. And as part of
that, I was reading Ken's B manual, written in 1972:

https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/kbman.pdf

Then I noticed at the end Ken refers to:

	Ritchie, D.M.  The UNIX Time Sharing System.  MM 71-1273-4.

which makes me think that the draft version Doug McIlroy found
(now at http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/research/McIlroy_v0/UnixEditionZero-Threshold_OCR.pdf)
must have made it into a full memorandum.

Given that we  have the memorandum number, does anybody know if it
would be possible to find it in the archives from what was Bell Labs?

Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] Dennis' Draft of the Unix Timesharing System: not so draft?
@ 2016-12-19 20:10 Noel Chiappa
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2016-12-19 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Warren Toomey

    >  Ritchie, D.M.  The UNIX Time Sharing System.  MM 71-1273-4.
    >  which makes me think that the draft version Doug McIlroy found

Not really a response to your question, but I'd looked at that
'UnixEditionZero' and was very taken with this line, early on:

  "the most important features of UNIX are its simplicity [and] elegance"

and had been meaning for some time to send in a rant.

The variants of Unix done later by others sure fixed that, didn't they? :-(

On a related note, great as my respect is for Ken and Doug for their work on
early Unix (surely the system with the greatest bang/buck ratio ever), I have
to disagree with them about Multics. In particular, if one is going to have a
system as complex as modern Unices have become, one might as well get the
power of Multics for it. Alas, we have the worst of both worlds - the size,
_without_ the power.

(Of course, Multics made some mistakes - primarly in thinking that the future
of computing lay in large, powerful central machines, but other aspects of
the system - such as the single-level store - clearly were the right
direction. And wouldn't it be nice to have AIM boxes to run our browers and
mail-readers in - so much for malware!)

	Noel