The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 14 new TUHS members
@ 2016-12-21  9:03 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-12-21  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

All, I've just got back from a few days away to find 14 new subscription
requests to the TUHS mailing list. Welcome aboard to you all.

Normally I only get one request a month, so I have some concerns about
the legitimacy of all these requests, so accept my apologies in advance
if there is any off-topic e-mails in the next few days.

P.S The mail while I was away was very interesting. Noel, you might
also be interested in the B interpreter and Robert Swierczick's B
compiler the PDP-7 Unix. The original B compiler doesn't exist, so
Robert took the 11/20 C compiler and "undid" the code that does types
so that it "became" a B compiler.

https://github.com/DoctorWkt/pdp7-unix/tree/master/src/other

Cheers all
	Warren

* [TUHS] 14 new TUHS members
@ 2016-12-21 11:15 ` Diomidis Spinellis
From: Diomidis Spinellis @ 2016-12-21 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I occasionally tweet pointers to archived messages when I see a gem in
our list that merits wider dissemination.  I did so this week: "The
reasons AT&T's CEO and legal started using Unix are not the ones you'd
expect. http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2016-December/007519.html"

https://twitter.com/CoolSWEng/status/810498608718036992

If you'd prefer to keep this list less public I can avoid such posts.

Diomidis

On 21/12/2016 11:03, Warren Toomey wrote:
> All, I've just got back from a few days away to find 14 new subscription
> requests to the TUHS mailing list. Welcome aboard to you all.
>
> Normally I only get one request a month, so I have some concerns about
> the legitimacy of all these requests, so accept my apologies in advance
> if there is any off-topic e-mails in the next few days.
>
> P.S The mail while I was away was very interesting. Noel, you might
> also be interested in the B interpreter and Robert Swierczick's B
> compiler the PDP-7 Unix. The original B compiler doesn't exist, so
> Robert took the 11/20 C compiler and "undid" the code that does types
> so that it "became" a B compiler.
>
> https://github.com/DoctorWkt/pdp7-unix/tree/master/src/other
>
> Cheers all
> 	Warren

* [TUHS] 14 new TUHS members
@ 2016-12-21 13:16 ` Avinash Sonawane
From: Avinash Sonawane @ 2016-12-21 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:
> All, I've just got back from a few days away to find 14 new subscription
> requests to the TUHS mailing list. Welcome aboard to you all.
>
> Normally I only get one request a month

May be it's because "How Unix made it to the top"[0] made it to the
front page of Hacker News[1], a forum frequented by geeks.

[0] http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2016-December/007519.html
[1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13204054

--
Avinash Sonawane (rootKea)
PICT, Pune

* [TUHS] 14 new TUHS members
@ 2016-12-21 14:41   ` Kay Parker
From: Kay Parker 	  @ 2016-12-21 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm researching Computer history, especially Unix. I noticed the
mentioned article reading a mail from this great list.

  kayparker at mailite.com

--
http://www.fastmail.com - The professional email service

* [TUHS] 14 new TUHS members
@ 2016-12-21 15:04     ` Edouard KLEIN
From: Edouard KLEIN @ 2016-12-21 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I too got there from Hacker News.

I like to read stories from the Unix Lore, and discover the history of the
tools that are everywhere in my computing environment at home and at work.
I fear I'll have nothing to contribute, as I'm younger than System V, but
I'll read the list with interest :)

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 at 15:41 Kay Parker <kayparker at mailite.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm researching Computer history, especially Unix. I noticed the
> mentioned article reading a mail from this great list.
>
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016, at 05:16 AM, Avinash Sonawane wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:
> > > All, I've just got back from a few days away to find 14 new
> subscription
> > > requests to the TUHS mailing list. Welcome aboard to you all.
> > >
> > > Normally I only get one request a month
> >
> > May be it's because "How Unix made it to the top"[0] made it to the
> > front page of Hacker News[1], a forum frequented by geeks.
> >
> > [0] http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2016-December/007519.html
> > [1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13204054
> >
> > --
> > Avinash Sonawane (rootKea)
> > PICT, Pune
> > https://rootkea.wordpress.com
>

> --
>   Kay Parker
>   kayparker at mailite.com
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.com - The professional email service

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] 14 new TUHS members
@ 2016-12-21 15:31       ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2016-12-21 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

You newcomers are in for a treat.  A bunch of the original Unix people
are here.  All sorts of gems get teased out.

I get that too "young" feeling, I was just a little too young to make
it to Bell Labs.  Not sure they would have let me in but if I had
been younger I would have fought hard to get in, those guys were my
inspiration.

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 03:04:09PM +0000, Edouard KLEIN wrote:
> I too got there from Hacker News.
>
> I like to read stories from the Unix Lore, and discover the history of the
> tools that are everywhere in my computing environment at home and at work.
> I fear I'll have nothing to contribute, as I'm younger than System V, but
> I'll read the list with interest :)
>
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 at 15:41 Kay Parker <kayparker at mailite.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm researching Computer history, especially Unix. I noticed the
> > mentioned article reading a mail from this great list.

> > subscription

> > > May be it's because "How Unix made it to the top"[0] made it to the
> > > front page of Hacker News[1], a forum frequented by geeks.
> > >
> > > [0] http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2016-December/007519.html
> > > [1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13204054
> > >
> > > --
> > > Avinash Sonawane (rootKea)
> > > PICT, Pune
> > > https://rootkea.wordpress.com
> >

> > --
> >   Kay Parker
> >   kayparker at mailite.com
> >
> > --
> > http://www.fastmail.com - The professional email service

--
---

* [TUHS] 14 new TUHS members
@ 2016-12-22  0:12       ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2016-12-22  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, don't feel yourself put out by your relative youth. I discovered Unix about the time I (seriously)
discovered computers in 1990. I'd read up what little info I could get on computers while I was at High
School in Canberra  - they actually had (general theory) books on computers, but then, Canberra hosts
an observatory and a couple of high-quality universities, so it stands to reason ...

I read (in Bits and Bytes, an NZ computer mag) about Minix and Coherent, and their multitasking and
whatnot, and thought, now I've got started in computers, let's get serious.(I'd got started on Macintosh
then tried my hand at MS DOS)

Unix is to computer geeks as Bach (or Coltrane) is to music geeks. Discussion and arguments aplenty,
but nobody's denying the importance.

Welcome aboard.

Wesley Parish

Quoting Edouard KLEIN <edouardklein at gmail.com>:

> I too got there from Hacker News.
>
> I like to read stories from the Unix Lore, and discover the history of
> the
> tools that are everywhere in my computing environment at home and at
> work.
> I fear I'll have nothing to contribute, as I'm younger than System V,
> but
> I'll read the list with interest :)
>
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 at 15:41 Kay Parker <kayparker at mailite.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm researching Computer history, especially Unix. I noticed the
> > mentioned article reading a mail from this great list.
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 21, 2016, at 05:16 AM, Avinash Sonawane wrote:
> > subscription

> > > May be it's because "How Unix made it to the top"[0] made it to the
> > > front page of Hacker News[1], a forum frequented by geeks.
> > >
> > > [0] http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2016-December/007519.html
> > > [1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13204054
> > >
> > > --
> > > Avinash Sonawane (rootKea)
> > > PICT, Pune
> > > https://rootkea.wordpress.com
> >

> > --
> > Kay Parker
> > kayparker at mailite.com
> >
> > --
> > http://www.fastmail.com - The professional email service

"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor,
Method for Guitar

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." -- Samuel Goldwyn