The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Early Unix manuals (Was: fortran compiler, in assembly, for pdp-11)
@ 2017-03-07 22:44 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-07 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Paul Ruizendaal

    > The "Research Unix Reader"

Thanks for mentioning that; I'd never heard of it. Very interesting.

A query: it seems to have been written with access to a set of manuals for the
various early versions of Research Unix. The Unix Tree:

  http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl

has the manual pages for V3 and V4, and V6 and later, but not the other
ones. Do the manuals used for the preparatio of that note still exist; and, if
so, is there any chance of getting them scanned?

(I have a auto-page-feed scanner, and volunteer to do said scanning. Someone
else is going to have to do the OCR, and back-conversion to NROFF source,
though... :-)

	Noel

* [TUHS] Early Unix manuals (Was: fortran compiler, in assembly, for pdp-11)
@ 2017-03-07 23:01 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-07 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 05:44:24PM -0500, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>   http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl
>
> has the manual pages for V3 and V4, and V6 and later, but not the other
> ones. Do the manuals used for the preparatio of that note still exist; and, if
> so, is there any chance of getting them scanned?

I've got photocopies of V1, V2, V5 from Normal Wilson. Dennis had V1 manuals
on his website: https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/1stEdman.html

V2 manuals at http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/Research/Dennis_v2/
V5 mans at http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/Research/Dennis_v5/v5man.pdf

Cheers, Warren
From: Paul McJones @ 2017-03-07 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

This scanned version includes all the cited manuals:

A Research UNIX Reader
Annotated Excepts from the Programmer's Manual, 1971-1986
M. Douglas McIlroy
https://archive.org/details/a_research_unix_reader