The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-07  7:09 Warren Toomey
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-07  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all, as part of my effort to recreate part of a simulated Usenet,
I'm trying to bring up uucp, then mail, then C-news on 4.2BSD boxes.
I've got a hardwired serial port between them, and I can see a basic
uucp conversation when I do this:

munnari.oz# /usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -sseismo -x7
uucp seismo (3/6-8:04-132) DEBUG (ENABLED)
	. . .
uucp seismo (3/6-8:04-132) SUCCEEDED (call to seismo )
imsg >\015\012\020<
Shere\000imsg >\020<
ROK\000msg-ROK
 Rmtname seismo, Role MASTER,  Ifn - 5, Loginuser - uucp
	. . .

I tried e-mail to seismo!wkt and wkt at seismo.UUCP but it's been deferred.
I now need some help with the sendmail config. I did play around with
sendmail.cf/mc way back, but it never involved uucp so I'm stuck.

Anybody want to help (and dust out those cobwebs at the same time)?

Thanks, Warren
* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-07  7:11 ` Cory Smelosky
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-03-07  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'll need to connect up to this UUCP network eventually...will poke at it tomorrow my time if I get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2017-03-07  7:54 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2017-03-07  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren Toomey wrote:
> Hi all, as part of my effort to recreate part of a simulated Usenet,
> I'm trying to bring up uucp, then mail, then C-news on 4.2BSD boxes.

I would like to suggest making an automated script to perform all
configuration and build steps.  It may be a bit of overhead, but I think
it pays off in the long run.

A ready to go system image is great for easy deployment, but you will
not always remember how you got to that working state.

* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-07  8:27   ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-07  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 08:54:12AM +0100, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> I would like to suggest making an automated script to perform all
> configuration and build steps.  It may be a bit of overhead, but I think
> it pays off in the long run.

I agree, but I've got to get to a working system first!
	Warren
* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-07  9:09 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-07  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 05:09:41PM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> I tried e-mail to seismo!wkt and wkt at seismo.UUCP but it's been deferred.
> I now need some help with the sendmail config. I did play around with
> sendmail.cf/mc way back, but it never involved uucp so I'm stuck.

Progress. I had to set up L.sys entries for each system to know the other
system. Then on each 4.2BSD system I had to uucp "make mkdirs" to make the
correct directories in /usr/spool/uucp.

On the sendmail front, I edited the uucp-only cad.mc file to state the system
name and the other system name (and in reverse for the other system). Then
make cad.cf.

With all of this in place, I can mail from one system to the other:
$ echo hello | mail wkt at seismo.UUCP

and then manually do a uucp call with # /usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -sseismo -x7

There are a few things to iron out, but at least thing work :)
	Warren
* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-07 15:23   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-03-07 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Warren Toomey wrote:

> With all of this in place, I can mail from one system to the other:
> $ echo hello | mail wkt at seismo.UUCP
>
> and then manually do a uucp call with # /usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -sseismo -x7
>
> There are a few things to iron out, but at least thing work :)

Great stuff!  It's been ages since I delved into UUCP; first was the
"original", then HoneyDanBer.

* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-07 20:43   ` Warren Toomey
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-07 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 07:09:08PM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> Progress.

More progress. I now have    		mcsun----seismo----munnari
with uucp mail between them all.

It should be easy to generate systems and their connections from a template.
I'll write the scripts soon. I might call for participation in a uucp/Usenet
reconstruction with people running simulated nodes on the Internet.

Mail me your "dibs" for specific nodes. Who wants kremvax?  :-)

Cheers, Warren

P.S A/B/C-news  at http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/News/
    Taylor UUCP at http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/TaylorUUCP/
* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-07 22:38     ` Dave Horsfall
                         ` (3 more replies)
       [not found]     ` <86varkclj1.fsf@molnjunk.nocrew.org>
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-03-07 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Warren Toomey wrote:

> It should be easy to generate systems and their connections from a
> template. I'll write the scripts soon. I might call for participation in
> a uucp/Usenet reconstruction with people running simulated nodes on the
> Internet.

Sounds like fun; would this be dialup for authenticity, or TCP for the
modem-less?

> Mail me your "dibs" for specific nodes. Who wants kremvax?  :-)

Or kgbvax, moscvax, ciavax, nsavax...

* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-07 22:45       ` John Floren
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Floren @ 2017-03-07 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
>> It should be easy to generate systems and their connections from a
>> template. I'll write the scripts soon. I might call for participation in
>> a uucp/Usenet reconstruction with people running simulated nodes on the
>> Internet.
>
> Sounds like fun; would this be dialup for authenticity, or TCP for the
> modem-less?

I've got a serial modem & a phone line I'm not using, so I'd be
willing to try stacking my RPi on top of the modem and dialing in to
someone else... I've claimed ucbvax so I may be signing my little node
up for far too much traffic :)

john

* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-07 22:50       ` Jacob Goense
From: Jacob Goense @ 2017-03-07 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-03-07 23:38, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> Sounds like fun; would this be dialup for authenticity, or TCP for the
> modem-less?

Working on getting hayes modem emulation to work with simh again. How
did
dialing work before 81? Tricks with DN interfaces, or..?

* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-07 22:58       ` Warren Toomey
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-07 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 09:38:27AM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> I might call for participation in
> > a uucp/Usenet reconstruction with people running simulated nodes on the
> > Internet.
>
> Sounds like fun; would this be dialup for authenticity, or TCP for the
> modem-less?

Ah sorry, I should have said. it will all be simulated and all the
dialups will be simulated by TCP connections. So anybody with an
Internet-connected server will be able to participate.

I've already registered a few "dibs". I haven't cut any templates yet,
so give me a few weeks and I'll start handing out bootable images :)

Cheers, Warren
* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-03-07 23:14       ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-03-07 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why do all these mail binaries on SVR4 x86 have "kremvax" hard coded
into them?

/usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/smtpqer kremvax
/usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/tosmtp kremvax
/usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/smtpd kremvax
/usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/smtp kremvax

@ 2017-03-07 23:19         ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-03-07 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Arthur Krewat wrote:

> Why do all these mail binaries on SVR4 x86 have "kremvax" hard coded into
> them?
>
> /usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/smtpqer kremvax
> /usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/tosmtp kremvax
> /usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/smtpd kremvax
> /usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/smtp kremvax

Now you've done it, comrade; that was the secret back door...

* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-07 23:27           ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-03-07 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMFAO.

By the way, that list was done with:

for a in `ls usr/lib/mail/surrcmd` ; do echo $a `strings $a | grep
kremvax`; done | grep kremvax

I did a strings on the smtpd earlier today looking for something else
and noticed right near the end was kremvax and started investigating.

@ 2017-03-07 23:46         ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-03-07 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 09:38:27AM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>> I might call for participation in
>>> a uucp/Usenet reconstruction with people running simulated nodes on the
>>> Internet.
>> Sounds like fun; would this be dialup for authenticity, or TCP for the
>> modem-less?
>
> Ah sorry, I should have said. it will all be simulated and all the
> dialups will be simulated by TCP connections. So anybody with an
> Internet-connected server will be able to participate.
>
> I've already registered a few "dibs". I haven't cut any templates yet,
> so give me a few weeks and I'll start handing out bootable images :)

I claim UCBVAX unless someone in the East Bay does...else I'll need to
fall back to San Jose history ;)

@ 2017-03-07 23:54           ` William Pechter
From: William Pechter @ 2017-03-07 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are we going to need pathalias to map them all?

Building the maps was so much fun when
the 8086 would run out of memory on  Xenix.

Bill

@ 2017-03-07 23:55             ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-03-07 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Pechter wrote:
> Are we going to need pathalias to map them all?

Friend kinda owes me a plotter, so I can make physical copies too!

@ 2017-03-08  0:03           ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2017-03-08  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd grabbed it but I'll pass it over to you if you can come up with an
appropriate system from New Mexico :)

john

@ 2017-03-08  0:05             ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-03-08  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Floren wrote:
> I'd grabbed it but I'll pass it over to you if you can come up with an
> appropriate system from New Mexico :)

I'd be surprised if Los Alamos didn't have a node in HOSTS.TXT.

I'll consult my directory of computer networks when I get home.

@ 2017-03-08  4:05         ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-03-08  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Warren Toomey wrote:

> Ah sorry, I should have said. it will all be simulated and all the
> dialups will be simulated by TCP connections. So anybody with an
> Internet-connected server will be able to participate.

OK - count me in, otherwise I would've have to have obtained a modem from
ePay and hoped it worked over my fibre-optic connection...

> I've already registered a few "dibs". I haven't cut any templates yet,
> so give me a few weeks and I'll start handing out bootable images :)

There were few UUCP sites on Oz, as I recall (we ran ACSnet instead) so
unless there is a "famous" Oz one not taken I bags "utzoo" (Henry
Spencer's box), and if we get USENET going I'll install C-news.

@ 2017-03-08  7:17       ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-08  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 07:47:30AM +0100, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Are modern systems welcome?  I always wanted a bang path address!

I can't see why not, as long as you can simulate a serial connection
with a TCP connection, and can speak uucp.

Cheers, Warren
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-08  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 06:43:07AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> More progress. I now have    		mcsun----seismo----munnari
> with uucp mail between them all.

Even more progress. I wrote a script to generate the uucp systems,
and given it a rough test. It's now here:

https://github.com/DoctorWkt/4bsd-uucp

and ready for people to download and try things out. I'm happy for
people to make changes, by adding them in as contributors.

We should add a file with uucp names, owners and connection details.
I'll do that soon.

Have at it!
	Warren
From: arnold @ 2017-03-08 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:

> I've already registered a few "dibs".

I'd like 'gatech' if nobody got it.  I was ...!{gatech,emory}!skeeve!arnold
until ~ 1997 when I moved to Israel. I was also arnold at skeeve.atl.ga.us
with Emory acting as my MX and mail forwarder. I ran 'smail' for many
years, I might even have the source around somewhere.

Thanks,

Arnold

P.S. At the very least, it'd be fun to come back up as plain 'skeeve'.

* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-08 21:20             ` Josh Good
From: Josh Good @ 2017-03-08 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017 Mar  7, 18:27, Arthur Krewat wrote:
> LMFAO.
>
> By the way, that list was done with:
>
> for a in `ls usr/lib/mail/surrcmd` ; do echo $a `strings $a | grep
> kremvax`; done | grep kremvax
>
> I did a strings on the smtpd earlier today looking for something else
> and noticed right near the end was kremvax and started investigating.
>

> On 3/7/2017 6:19 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> >On Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Arthur Krewat wrote:
> >
> >>Why do all these mail binaries on SVR4 x86 have "kremvax" hard coded into
> >>them?
> >>
> >>/usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/smtpqer kremvax
> >>/usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/tosmtp kremvax
> >>/usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/smtpd kremvax
> >>/usr/lib/mail/surrcmd/smtp kremvax
> >Now you've done it, comrade; that was the secret back door...

It seems to be something "special" about the flavour of SVR4 you are
running.

That "kremvax" is not there on UnixWare 2.1, see this screenshot:

https://s17.postimg.org/il0ehai3j/kremvax.png

PD: Do you per chance happen to know how can I install/enable the telnet
server on UnixWare 2.1 "Personal Edition"?

--
Josh Good

* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-08 21:42               ` Corey Lindsly
From: Corey Lindsly @ 2017-03-08 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> PD: Do you per chance happen to know how can I install/enable the telnet
> server on UnixWare 2.1 "Personal Edition"?
>
> --
> Josh Good

On my installation, it was enabled by default. What does your
/etc/inetd.conf look like? Is inetd running?

http://lod.com/sco-screenshot-1.jpg

--corey

@ 2017-03-08 22:03 ` Joerg Schilling
From: Joerg Schilling @ 2017-03-08 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:

> Hi all, as part of my effort to recreate part of a simulated Usenet,
> I'm trying to bring up uucp, then mail, then C-news on 4.2BSD boxes.
> I've got a hardwired serial port between them, and I can see a basic

In case it is if interest...

I used modems between 1986 and january 1993 (when I started to use a self
built ISDN adaptor that was connected as a piggy back to the Sun-3/50 or
Sun-3/60 EPROM socket).

During that "modem" time, I started with a 2400 baud modem and soon upgraded
to a US-Robotics modem. It turned out that UUCP had several issues and was not
very effective with high speed modems.

For this reason, I started with the BSD-4.2 UUCP sources and created a new
protocol that I called "s" protocol. This protocol was based on the "g"
protocol but used larger packet sizes. Here is my comment header for "sio.c":

/*
 * High speed modem protocol with flow control.
 *
 * The s protocol was designed to be used with high speed modems which
 * have no built in protocol spoofing for the g protocol.
 *
 * The s protocol is almost the g protocol with a greater packetsize
 * and some mapping, to allow software flow control to work.
 * If the operating system is able to do hardware/software flow control
 * which is not 8-bit transparent, the s protocol will use the
 * 8-bit data path. If the data path is only 7-bit wide on one or both
 * directions the s protocol will use additional mapping in the
 * appropriate direction to ensure an overall 8-bit wide datapath.
 *
 * The s protocol relies on a packet driver with some minor changes.
 *
 * The modifications on the packet driver are:
 *      -       some minor bug-fixes, so packet sizes > 128 bytes will work.
 *      -       allow to specify transport routines different from read/write
 *              to enable the mapping of flow control characters.
 *
 * These changes will not stop the g protocol to work.
 *
 * Author:
 *      J. Schilling, Berlin 1990
 *
 * N.B.: The main code was stolen from the g-protocol.
 */

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-08 22:16       ` Warren Toomey
                           ` (4 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-08 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 07:20:52PM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> https://github.com/DoctorWkt/4bsd-uucp

The list of people and sites they have chosen is at
https://github.com/DoctorWkt/4bsd-uucp/blob/master/uucp_sites.txt

I've just set up "seismo" at simh.tuhs.org:5000, if anybody wants a
remote site to connect to. E-mail me your site and IP details.

Cheers, Warren
* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-08 22:31         ` Dave Horsfall
                           ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-03-08 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm surprised no-one's taken decvax, ihnp4, cbosgd...

...!utzoo!dave[.UUCP] one day...

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-08 22:33         ` Kurt H Maier
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2017-03-08 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 08:16:45AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:

> The list of people and sites they have chosen is at
> https://github.com/DoctorWkt/4bsd-uucp/blob/master/uucp_sites.txt

I don't see kremvax listed.  If nobody else will, I'll operate a kremvax
installation.

khm

* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-08 22:59                 ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-03-08 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/8/2017 4:42 PM, Corey Lindsly wrote:
> On my installation, it was enabled by default. What does your
> /etc/inetd.conf look like? Is inetd running?
>
> http://lod.com/sco-screenshot-1.jpg
>
> --corey

Mine too. Maybe it was a package we both chose to install? Server tools?

telnet vuw21
Trying 199.89.231.143...
Connected to vuw21.kilonet.net.
Escape character is '^]'.

UnixWare 2.1 (vuw21) (pts/2)

login: krewat
Password:
UnixWare 2.1
vuw21
Copyright 1996 The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Copyright 1984-1995 Novell, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Copyright 1987, 1988 Microsoft Corp.  All Rights Reserved.
U.S. Pat. No. 5,349,642
Last login: Sat Mar  4 09:40:07 2017 on pts000

You have mail
Display Desktop (y/n)? n
$

* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-08 23:07   ` Arthur Krewat
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-03-08 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is one of the reasons Telebit did the whole UUCP "g" acceleration
in the Trailblazer/Worldblazer modems.

The turn-around time for the small packets being acknowledged was so bad
over normal modems that it was painful.

So Telebit made the modem do the acknowledgements (IIRC), stream the
data over the phone line, and the receiving end would "play along" on
the acknowledgements.

It was very effective for news especially.

@ 2017-03-08 23:18     ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-03-08 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017, at 15:07, Arthur Krewat wrote:
> This is one of the reasons Telebit did the whole UUCP "g" acceleration
> in the Trailblazer/Worldblazer modems.
>
> The turn-around time for the small packets being acknowledged was so bad
> over normal modems that it was painful.
>
> So Telebit made the modem do the acknowledgements (IIRC), stream the
> data over the phone line, and the receiving end would "play along" on
> the acknowledgements.
>
> It was very effective for news especially.
>
> On 3/8/2017 5:03 PM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > During that "modem" time, I started with a 2400 baud modem and soon
> > upgraded
> > to a US-Robotics modem. It turned out that UUCP had several issues and was not
> > very effective with high speed modems.
> >
> > ...SNIP...
> > Jörg

I need to pull my Telebits out now, don't I? ;)

--
  Cory Smelosky
  b4 at gewt.net

* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-08 23:39       ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-03-08 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've still got my Worldblazer, and a Trailblazer that I found in a
storage closet at a defense contractor I was consulting for back in the
mid 90's.

I'm seriously thinking of getting my SVR4.2 system back up and running
and seeing if I can get Taylor UUCP to function again.

Of course, I didn't make the UUCP maps until the early 90's... but still :)

@ 2017-03-09  0:22         ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-03-09  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Which SVR4.2?

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2017-03-09  1:59     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-03-09  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Arthur Krewat wrote:

> This is one of the reasons Telebit did the whole UUCP "g" acceleration
> in the Trailblazer/Worldblazer modems.

Yep, and they ran like the clappers; I can still remember its "moose
call" when it was syncing with the other end.

Ah, well I remember the time back at Strangled Tangled and Confused, when
we were being chipped by the accountoids for our long-distance modem
bills; when I explained to the suits that they were actually our head
office (bug reports and resolution etc), a couple of Trailblazers suddenly
appeared in our respective machine rooms.

$BABBAGE, but how I've hated middle managers since then...

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-09  6:36           ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-03-09  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kurt H Maier <khm at sciops.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 08:16:45AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> >
> > The list of people and sites they have chosen is at
> > https://github.com/DoctorWkt/4bsd-uucp/blob/master/uucp_sites.txt
>
> I don't see kremvax listed.  If nobody else will, I'll operate a kremvax
> installation.
>
> khm

Ahem - my name is Arnold Robbins - my domain is "Skeeve" ... :-)

Please fix the file.

Arnold

* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-09  9:30     ` Joerg Schilling
From: Joerg Schilling @ 2017-03-09  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Krewat <krewat at kilonet.net> wrote:

> This is one of the reasons Telebit did the whole UUCP "g" acceleration
> in the Trailblazer/Worldblazer modems.
>
> The turn-around time for the small packets being acknowledged was so bad
> over normal modems that it was painful.
>
> So Telebit made the modem do the acknowledgements (IIRC), stream the
> data over the phone line, and the receiving end would "play along" on
> the acknowledgements.
>
> It was very effective for news especially.

If you have been forced to connect to a "traditional UUCP" site, this may have
been a useful concept.

With a packet size of 64 bytes and max. 3 windows, the protocol was OK for 2400
baud, but not really usable for faster modems.

My enhanced packet handler supported dynamic packet sizes between 32 bytes and
4096 bytes and 1..7 windows.

Given that I could update the UUCP implementation of my news-feed in the
university, this was a better solution than the Telebit protocol spoofing.

BTW: UUCP enhancements have been discussed by many people in comp.mail.uucp
Active people in that group have been e.g.

Ian Lance Taylor	various

Rick Adams		t protocol for TCP/IP

Matthias Urlichs	e protocol. similar to t protocol

Peter Honeyman		g protocol description

Jörg

--

@ 2017-03-09 13:02         ` Lars Brinkhoff
       [not found]         ` <86fuimbobi.fsf@molnjunk.nocrew.org>
       [not found]         ` <CAL4LZyjBG_TL06CAhoNY-BW3pCR6qJHVVMq2oUnfVqOHsAf9kA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2017-03-09 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> writes:
> The list of people and sites they have chosen is at
> https://github.com/DoctorWkt/4bsd-uucp/blob/master/uucp_sites.txt
>
> I've just set up "seismo" at simh.tuhs.org:5000, if anybody wants a
> remote site to connect to. E-mail me your site and IP details.

I'd like to join this network, but I don't know how to configure a UUCP
site.  I'm using Taylor UUCP 1.07.  I can probably figure things out
eventually but if someone has any hints, that would be helpful.

I'm looking to use TCP and protocol T, but I don't know if that's
appropriate.

* [TUHS] Help request: uucp, mail on 4.2BSD
@ 2017-03-09 14:51           ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-03-09 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I could get the Consensys running that I used to have that would be
great, it would be "authentic" to me at least.

However, it relies on either an Adaptec 1540 SCSI controller, or the
standard ISA WD MFM/RLL controller (and maybe ESDI), which my VMware
environments can't support. I'm reluctant to go into running yet another
emulator anywhere on my home office network, so it might be Unixware 2.1
which I managed to get running in VMware.

@ 2017-03-09 17:53             ` SPC
From: SPC @ 2017-03-09 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hum... an impressive amount of messages in a short time.

I dare to ask something. Many people here appear to be interested in
put up an UUCP connection (simulating a modem connection even).
Someone even asked about a MAPINFO... In my case I want to put online
and available across my firewall a simulated Unix running under SIMH.
Would have sense to provide info for a common MAPINFO or for range of
adresses for UUCP interchange? It's only an idea. Excuses in advance
for my dare if I'm telling something weird.

Gracias | Regards - Saludos | Greetings | Freundliche Grüße | Salutations
--
Sergio Pedraja
--

@ 2017-03-09 20:26                   ` Josh Good
From: Josh Good @ 2017-03-09 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017 Mar  8, 17:59, Arthur Krewat wrote:
> On 3/8/2017 4:42 PM, Corey Lindsly wrote:
> >On my installation, it was enabled by default. What does your
> >/etc/inetd.conf look like? Is inetd running?
> >
> >http://lod.com/sco-screenshot-1.jpg
> >
> >--corey
> >

> Mine too. Maybe it was a package we both chose to install? Server tools?
>

> telnet vuw21
> Trying 199.89.231.143...
> Connected to vuw21.kilonet.net.
> Escape character is '^]'.
>

> UnixWare 2.1 (vuw21) (pts/2)
>
> login: krewat
> Password:
> UnixWare 2.1
> vuw21
> Copyright 1996 The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
> Copyright 1984-1995 Novell, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
> Copyright 1987, 1988 Microsoft Corp.  All Rights Reserved.
> U.S. Pat. No. 5,349,642
> Last login: Sat Mar  4 09:40:07 2017 on pts000
>
> You have mail
> Display Desktop (y/n)? n
> $

Yeah, you are both right, I was fooled by not seeing telnetd in the ps
output. Turns out telnetd is invoked throught the inetd daemon.

	$ grep telnet /etc/inetd.conf
	# Ftp and telnet are standard Internet services.
	telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.telnetd in.telnetd

And by the way, the two user limit in the "Personal Edition" of UnixWare
2.1 seems to be real:

	$ telnet 172.27.101.128
	Trying 172.27.101.128...
	Connected to 172.27.101.128.
	Escape character is '^]'.

	UnixWare 2.1 (gollum1) (pts/2)

	login: jgood
	Password:
	UnixWare 2.1
	gollum1
	Copyright 1996 The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.  All Rights
	Reserved.
	Copyright 1984-1995 Novell, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
	Copyright 1987, 1988 Microsoft Corp.  All Rights Reserved.
	U.S. Pat. No. 5,349,642
	Last login: Tue Mar  9 20:57:05 1999 on pts000
	telnetd: set_id() failed: Too many users
	.
	Connection closed by foreign host.

This thing was released in 1996. Obviously, with this limitation it could
not hold a candle to the emerging Linux tsunammi full of free source code.

Regards,

--
Josh Good

@ 2017-03-09 22:28           ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-09 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 01:57:05PM +0100, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Is it ok to do experimental testing with that host?  I've never set up
> uucp, so I do not yet know quit what I'm doing.

Neither have I! But yes, feel free. In yur SimH .ini file, put (or change)
this line to say:

attach dz line=0,Connect=simh.tuhs.org:5000

which will connect /dev/tty00 to simh.tuhs.org port 5000. Then
set up your L.sys file with a line that says:

seismo Any;9 DIR 9600 tty00 "" "" ogin:--ogin:--ogin: uucp ssword: uucp

so that the uucp site seismo can be contacted via /dev/tty00. Then you
can try doing:

# echo hello there | mail seismo\!root
  <wait a few seconds>
# /usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -sseismo -x7

and you should see the debug information with parts of the uucp conversation.

Cheers, Warren
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-09 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 04:01:09PM -0700, John Floren wrote:
> Well, I'm trying to set up lanl-a, it's at 199.180.255.235:6666
> (theoretically). I've set it up to point at seismo but uucico hangs
> waiting for the login prompt.

OK, try this: Edit your /etc/remote file to say this for dialer:

dialer:dv=/dev/tty00:br#9600:

Now try:

# tip dialer

which should connect out over /dev/tty00 to seismo via the TCP connection.
Hit Return a few times to see if there is any response. On your host system,
do netstat -a | grep ESTAB and see if there is a TCP connection to
simh.tuhs.org:5000.

I also forgot. To be able to send e-mail, you need to add seismo to the
list of known remote sites in /usr/lib/sendmail.cf:

CWseismo

Cheers, Warren
* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-09 23:23             ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2017-03-09 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

No luck with tip, and I don't see any net connections. My .ini file
contains this:

set dz lines=8
set dz 8b
attach dz line=0,Connect=simh.tuhs.org:5000
att dz -m 6666

and I can 'telnet simh.tuhs.org 5000' from the host.

john

@ 2017-03-10  1:49       ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2017-03-10  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've now got it working and it made me think a little.

In order to do these "serial ports over TCP" things, we basically are
putting login prompts out to the Internet. Is it possible to restrict
things so the only user allowed on ttyN is 'uucp', or should I just
put in iptables rules to only allow traffic from my UUCP peers?

john

@ 2017-03-10  1:57             ` Cory Smelosky
       [not found]               ` <20170310020203.GA14221@minnie.tuhs.org>
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-03-10  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017, at 15:19, Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 04:01:09PM -0700, John Floren wrote:
> > Well, I'm trying to set up lanl-a, it's at 199.180.255.235:6666
> > (theoretically). I've set it up to point at seismo but uucico hangs
> > waiting for the login prompt.
>
> OK, try this: Edit your /etc/remote file to say this for dialer:
>
> dialer:dv=/dev/tty00:br#9600:
>
> Now try:
>
> # tip dialer
>
> which should connect out over /dev/tty00 to seismo via the TCP
> connection.
> Hit Return a few times to see if there is any response. On your host
> system,
> do netstat -a | grep ESTAB and see if there is a TCP connection to
> simh.tuhs.org:5000.
>
> I also forgot. To be able to send e-mail, you need to add seismo to the
> list of known remote sites in /usr/lib/sendmail.cf:
>
> CWseismo
>
> Cheers, Warren
> Email had 1 attachment:
> + signature.asc
>   1k (application/pgp-signature)

I'm trying to do an identical test before bring UUCP up. (but using
4._3_BSD).

# grep -i "tty00" /etc/ttys
#tty00   "/etc/getty std.9600"   unknown         on secure

# tip dialer
/dev/tty00: Permission denied
link down
# grep -i "dialer" /etc/remote
dialer:dv=/dev/tty00:br#9600:

sim> show dz0
DZ0     attached to 5000,Line=0,Connect=simh.tuhs.org:5000, 8b, 1
current connection

# cat /dev/tty00

Connected to the VAX 11/780 simulator DZ device, line 5

Password:
Connected to tLogin incorrect
login: he VAX 11/780 simulator DZ device, line 5
Password:

Password:

Login incorrect
Cologin: login: login: Password:
login: he VAX 1Login incorrect
login: 1/780 simulator DZ device, line 5
Password:
assword:

What'd I miss?

--
  Cory Smelosky
  b4 at gewt.net

@ 2017-03-10  2:03                 ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-03-10  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017, at 18:02, Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 05:57:00PM -0800, Cory Smelosky wrote:
> > # grep -i "tty00" /etc/ttys
> > #tty00   "/etc/getty std.9600"   unknown         on secure
> >
> > # tip dialer
> > /dev/tty00: Permission denied
>
> You need to chown uucp /dev/tty00 I think!
>
> Cheers, Warren
> Email had 1 attachment:
> + signature.asc
>   1k (application/pgp-signature)

That did it.

--
  Cory Smelosky
  b4 at gewt.net

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-10  2:06         ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-10  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 06:49:45PM -0700, John Floren wrote:
> I've now got it working and it made me think a little.
>
> In order to do these "serial ports over TCP" things, we basically are
> putting login prompts out to the Internet. Is it possible to restrict
> things so the only user allowed on ttyN is 'uucp', or should I just
> put in iptables rules to only allow traffic from my UUCP peers?

Yes, I'm trying to work on that. There is a way set some DZ lines
to listen on port Y and the others on port X.

sim> ATTACH DZ X,Line=3,Y,line=4,Z

But there isn't a way to bind to localhost AFAICT. So we should be able to
run uucico only on certain /dev/tty lines, but this still will require
you to iptables block the other port.

Unless someone has a way to bind simh DZ lines to localhost?

Cheers, Warren
* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-10  2:09           ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-03-10  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017, at 18:06, Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 06:49:45PM -0700, John Floren wrote:
> > I've now got it working and it made me think a little.
> >
> > In order to do these "serial ports over TCP" things, we basically are
> > putting login prompts out to the Internet. Is it possible to restrict
> > things so the only user allowed on ttyN is 'uucp', or should I just
> > put in iptables rules to only allow traffic from my UUCP peers?
>
> Yes, I'm trying to work on that. There is a way set some DZ lines
> to listen on port Y and the others on port X.
>
> sim> ATTACH DZ X,Line=3,Y,line=4,Z
>
> But there isn't a way to bind to localhost AFAICT. So we should be able
> run uucico only on certain /dev/tty lines, but this still will require
> you to iptables block the other port.
>
> Unless someone has a way to bind simh DZ lines to localhost?

sim> att dz -m 127.0.0.1:5000
Listening on port 127.0.0.1:5000
Modem control activated

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

Connected to the VAX 11/780 simulator DZ device, line 1

[root at lethe] ~# telnet 10.12.10.1 5000
Trying 10.12.10.1...
telnet: connect to address 10.12.10.1: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

  b4 at gewt.net

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-10  7:11             ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2017-03-10  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren Toomey wrote:
> Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
>> Is it ok to do experimental testing with that host?  I've never set
>> up uucp, so I do not yet know quit what I'm doing.
> Neither have I! But yes, feel free. In yur SimH .ini file, put (or change)
> this line to say

I'm using Taylor UUCP on a somewhat modern system (Ubuntu 12).

I managed persuade it to connect to seismo over TCP port 5000 and do a
handshake for protocol g.  A few packets were sent.

Now I'll see if I can inject email messages into this.  We're using the
exim MTA, and it's does exactly support uucp.

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-10 12:25         ` Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2017-03-10 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would put some kind of firewall in front of it, If even to restrict source addressed to well known.  There is a LOT of people scanning the internet.  I also have a publicly available FTP server and I'll see it on lists of known boxes etc.

On March 10, 2017 9:49:45 AM GMT+08:00, John Floren <john at jfloren.net> wrote:
>I've now got it working and it made me think a little.
>
>In order to do these "serial ports over TCP" things, we basically are
>putting login prompts out to the Internet. Is it possible to restrict
>things so the only user allowed on ttyN is 'uucp', or should I just
>put in iptables rules to only allow traffic from my UUCP peers?
>
>john
>
>On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:20 AM, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 06:43:07AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
>>> More progress. I now have             mcsun----seismo----munnari
>>> with uucp mail between them all.
>>
>> Even more progress. I wrote a script to generate the uucp systems,
>> and given it a rough test. It's now here:
>>
>> https://github.com/DoctorWkt/4bsd-uucp
>>
>> and ready for people to download and try things out. I'm happy for
>> people to make changes, by adding them in as contributors.
>>
>> We should add a file with uucp names, owners and connection details.
>> I'll do that soon.
>>
>> Have at it!
>>         Warren

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-10 17:50           ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2017-03-10 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 5:25 AM, Jason Stevens
<jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com> wrote:
> I would put some kind of firewall in front of it, If even to restrict source
> addressed to well known. There is a LOT of people scanning the internet. I
> also have a publicly available FTP server and I'll see it on lists of known
> boxes etc.

That's the plan. I now have lanl-a and unmvax up and talking to each
other. If anyone would like to set up a bi-directional connection with
lanl-a, contact me off-list and I'll put you in my firewall / add a
serial connection to you. I'll try to get C-News going soon too.

john

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-10 21:38           ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-10 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 08:25:25PM +0800, Jason Stevens wrote:
> I've now got it working and it made me think a little.
> In order to do these "serial ports over TCP" things, we basically are
> putting login prompts out to the Internet. Is it possible to restrict
> things so the only user allowed on ttyN is 'uucp', or should I just
> put in iptables rules to only allow traffic from my UUCP peers?
> john

Use the 4.3BSD branch. In these systems, I've set the serial ports
as insecure in /etc/ttys, so people can't login as root. Then, remove
all users from the password file (with vipw) except root and uucp. Or,
keep one non-root user for you to login as.

If you leave vax780 running in 'screen', you can still login as root there.

Cheers, Warren
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2017-03-11  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please save cbosgd for me.  It may be awhile before I get around to
doing anything with it.

There was never a cbosgd!mah, but now I have a shot at it :)

   Mary Ann

@ 2017-03-11  5:29             ` jsteve
From: jsteve @ 2017-03-11  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

VMWare can do the standard ‘ide’/WD-1003 type interface, you either have to edit the VMX/master VMDK, or set the right ‘OS’ type during install.  Try MS-DOS or ‘Legacy OS/2’.

From my old notes:

First, edit the .vmdk file.  You are looking for the line:
ddb.adapterType = “buslogic”
And you change the buslogic to ide like this:
# Extent description
RW 16777216 VMFS “UnixWare 7.1.1-flat.vmdk”
# The Disk Data Base
#DDB
ddb.adapterType = “ide”
ddb.geometry.cylinders = “1044”
ddb.geometry.heads = “255”
ddb.geometry.sectors = “63”
ddb.longContentID = “8f535bb60df8d73a86c24853fffffff
The next thing is to alter the vmx file.  By default the hard disk will be on scsi0 and you’ll see something like this:
scsi0.present = “TRUE”
scsi0:0.deviceType = “scsi-hardDisk”
scsi0:0.fileName = “UnixWare 7.1.1.vmdk”
scsi0:0.present = “TRUE”
And what we do is rename the scsi0:0 to ide0:0
ide0:0.present = “TRUE”
ide0:0.deviceType = “disk”
ide0:0.fileName = “UnixWare 7.1.1.vmdk”
scsi0:0.present = “TRUE”
And you should be good to go.  The other (much easier) alternative is to try to use the legacy OS/2 profile as it’ll install an IDE disk by default.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

@ 2017-03-09 23:35 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-09 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Warren Toomey

    > attach dz line=0,Connect=simh.tuhs.org:5000
    >
    >  which will connect /dev/tty00

Provided that /dev/tty00 exists, and the major device type is set to the
cdevsw index for the DZ in whatever Unix you are using, and the minor device
is set to the correct value to DZ #0, line #0.... :-)

	Noel