The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-09 23:35 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-09 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Warren Toomey

    > attach dz line=0,Connect=simh.tuhs.org:5000
    >
    >  which will connect /dev/tty00

Provided that /dev/tty00 exists, and the major device type is set to the
cdevsw index for the DZ in whatever Unix you are using, and the minor device
is set to the correct value to DZ #0, line #0.... :-)

	Noel

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-11  0:14           ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2017-03-11  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please save cbosgd for me.  It may be awhile before I get around to
doing anything with it.

There was never a cbosgd!mah, but now I have a shot at it :)

   Mary Ann

@ 2017-03-10 21:38           ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-10 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 08:25:25PM +0800, Jason Stevens wrote:
> I've now got it working and it made me think a little.
> In order to do these "serial ports over TCP" things, we basically are
> putting login prompts out to the Internet. Is it possible to restrict
> things so the only user allowed on ttyN is 'uucp', or should I just
> put in iptables rules to only allow traffic from my UUCP peers?
> john

Use the 4.3BSD branch. In these systems, I've set the serial ports
as insecure in /etc/ttys, so people can't login as root. Then, remove
all users from the password file (with vipw) except root and uucp. Or,
keep one non-root user for you to login as.

If you leave vax780 running in 'screen', you can still login as root there.

Cheers, Warren
From: John Floren @ 2017-03-10 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 5:25 AM, Jason Stevens
<jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com> wrote:
> I would put some kind of firewall in front of it, If even to restrict source
> addressed to well known. There is a LOT of people scanning the internet. I
> also have a publicly available FTP server and I'll see it on lists of known
> boxes etc.

That's the plan. I now have lanl-a and unmvax up and talking to each
other. If anyone would like to set up a bi-directional connection with
lanl-a, contact me off-list and I'll put you in my firewall / add a
serial connection to you. I'll try to get C-News going soon too.

john

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-10 12:25         ` Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2017-03-10 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On March 10, 2017 9:49:45 AM GMT+08:00, John Floren <john at jfloren.net> wrote:
>I've now got it working and it made me think a little.
>
>In order to do these "serial ports over TCP" things, we basically are
>putting login prompts out to the Internet. Is it possible to restrict
>things so the only user allowed on ttyN is 'uucp', or should I just
>put in iptables rules to only allow traffic from my UUCP peers?
>
>john
>
>On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:20 AM, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 06:43:07AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
>>> More progress. I now have             mcsun----seismo----munnari
>>> with uucp mail between them all.
>>
>> Even more progress. I wrote a script to generate the uucp systems,
>> and given it a rough test. It's now here:
>>
>> https://github.com/DoctorWkt/4bsd-uucp
>>
>> and ready for people to download and try things out. I'm happy for
>> people to make changes, by adding them in as contributors.
>>
>> We should add a file with uucp names, owners and connection details.
>> I'll do that soon.
>>
>> Have at it!
>>         Warren

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-10  7:11             ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2017-03-10  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren Toomey wrote:
> Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
>> Is it ok to do experimental testing with that host?  I've never set
>> up uucp, so I do not yet know quit what I'm doing.
> Neither have I! But yes, feel free. In yur SimH .ini file, put (or change)
> this line to say

I'm using Taylor UUCP on a somewhat modern system (Ubuntu 12).

I managed persuade it to connect to seismo over TCP port 5000 and do a
handshake for protocol g.  A few packets were sent.

Now I'll see if I can inject email messages into this.  We're using the
exim MTA, and it's does exactly support uucp.

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-10  2:09           ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-03-10  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017, at 18:06, Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 06:49:45PM -0700, John Floren wrote:
> > I've now got it working and it made me think a little.
> >
> > In order to do these "serial ports over TCP" things, we basically are
> > putting login prompts out to the Internet. Is it possible to restrict
> > things so the only user allowed on ttyN is 'uucp', or should I just
> > put in iptables rules to only allow traffic from my UUCP peers?
>
> Yes, I'm trying to work on that. There is a way set some DZ lines
> to listen on port Y and the others on port X.
>
> sim> ATTACH DZ X,Line=3,Y,line=4,Z
>
> But there isn't a way to bind to localhost AFAICT. So we should be able
> run uucico only on certain /dev/tty lines, but this still will require
> you to iptables block the other port.
>
> Unless someone has a way to bind simh DZ lines to localhost?

sim> att dz -m 127.0.0.1:5000
Listening on port 127.0.0.1:5000
Modem control activated

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

Connected to the VAX 11/780 simulator DZ device, line 1

[root at lethe] ~# telnet 10.12.10.1 5000
Trying 10.12.10.1...
telnet: connect to address 10.12.10.1: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

--
  Cory Smelosky
  b4 at gewt.net

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-10  2:06         ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-10  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 06:49:45PM -0700, John Floren wrote:
> I've now got it working and it made me think a little.
>
> In order to do these "serial ports over TCP" things, we basically are
> putting login prompts out to the Internet. Is it possible to restrict
> things so the only user allowed on ttyN is 'uucp', or should I just
> put in iptables rules to only allow traffic from my UUCP peers?

Yes, I'm trying to work on that. There is a way set some DZ lines
to listen on port Y and the others on port X.

sim> ATTACH DZ X,Line=3,Y,line=4,Z

But there isn't a way to bind to localhost AFAICT. So we should be able to

From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-03-10  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017, at 18:02, Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 05:57:00PM -0800, Cory Smelosky wrote:
> > # grep -i "tty00" /etc/ttys
> > #tty00   "/etc/getty std.9600"   unknown         on secure
> >
> > # tip dialer
> > /dev/tty00: Permission denied
>
> You need to chown uucp /dev/tty00 I think!
>
> Cheers, Warren
> Email had 1 attachment:
> + signature.asc
>   1k (application/pgp-signature)

That did it.

--
  Cory Smelosky
  b4 at gewt.net

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-10  1:57             ` Cory Smelosky
       [not found]               ` <20170310020203.GA14221@minnie.tuhs.org>
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-03-10  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017, at 15:19, Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 04:01:09PM -0700, John Floren wrote:
> > Well, I'm trying to set up lanl-a, it's at 199.180.255.235:6666
> > (theoretically). I've set it up to point at seismo but uucico hangs
> > waiting for the login prompt.
>
> OK, try this: Edit your /etc/remote file to say this for dialer:
>
> dialer:dv=/dev/tty00:br#9600:
>
> Now try:
>
> # tip dialer
>
> which should connect out over /dev/tty00 to seismo via the TCP
> connection.
> Hit Return a few times to see if there is any response. On your host
> system,
> do netstat -a | grep ESTAB and see if there is a TCP connection to
> simh.tuhs.org:5000.
>
> I also forgot. To be able to send e-mail, you need to add seismo to the
> list of known remote sites in /usr/lib/sendmail.cf:
>
> CWseismo
>
> Cheers, Warren
> Email had 1 attachment:
> + signature.asc
>   1k (application/pgp-signature)

I'm trying to do an identical test before bring UUCP up. (but using
4._3_BSD).

# grep -i "tty00" /etc/ttys
#tty00   "/etc/getty std.9600"   unknown         on secure

# tip dialer
/dev/tty00: Permission denied
link down
# grep -i "dialer" /etc/remote
dialer:dv=/dev/tty00:br#9600:

sim> show dz0
DZ0     attached to 5000,Line=0,Connect=simh.tuhs.org:5000, 8b, 1
current connection

# cat /dev/tty00

Connected to the VAX 11/780 simulator DZ device, line 5

Password:
Connected to tLogin incorrect
login: he VAX 11/780 simulator DZ device, line 5
Password:

Password:

Login incorrect
Cologin: login: login: Password:
login: he VAX 1Login incorrect
login: 1/780 simulator DZ device, line 5
Password:
assword:

What'd I miss?

--
  Cory Smelosky
  b4 at gewt.net

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-10  1:49       ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2017-03-10  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-03-09 23:23             ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2017-03-09 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

No luck with tip, and I don't see any net connections. My .ini file
contains this:

set dz lines=8
set dz 8b
attach dz line=0,Connect=simh.tuhs.org:5000
att dz -m 6666

and I can 'telnet simh.tuhs.org 5000' from the host.

john

       [not found]         ` <CAL4LZyjBG_TL06CAhoNY-BW3pCR6qJHVVMq2oUnfVqOHsAf9kA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2017-03-09 23:19           ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-09 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found]         ` <86fuimbobi.fsf@molnjunk.nocrew.org>
@ 2017-03-09 22:28           ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-09 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 01:57:05PM +0100, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Is it ok to do experimental testing with that host?  I've never set up
> uucp, so I do not yet know quit what I'm doing.

Neither have I! But yes, feel free. In yur SimH .ini file, put (or change)
this line to say:

attach dz line=0,Connect=simh.tuhs.org:5000

which will connect /dev/tty00 to simh.tuhs.org port 5000. Then
set up your L.sys file with a line that says:

seismo Any;9 DIR 9600 tty00 "" "" ogin:--ogin:--ogin: uucp ssword: uucp

so that the uucp site seismo can be contacted via /dev/tty00. Then you
can try doing:

# echo hello there | mail seismo\!root
  <wait a few seconds>
# /usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -sseismo -x7

and you should see the debug information with parts of the uucp conversation.

Cheers, Warren
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2017-03-09 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> writes:
> The list of people and sites they have chosen is at
> https://github.com/DoctorWkt/4bsd-uucp/blob/master/uucp_sites.txt
>
> I've just set up "seismo" at simh.tuhs.org:5000, if anybody wants a
> remote site to connect to. E-mail me your site and IP details.

I'd like to join this network, but I don't know how to configure a UUCP
site.  I'm using Taylor UUCP 1.07.  I can probably figure things out
eventually but if someone has any hints, that would be helpful.

I'm looking to use TCP and protocol T, but I don't know if that's
appropriate.

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-09  6:36           ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-03-09  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kurt H Maier <khm at sciops.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 08:16:45AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> >
> > The list of people and sites they have chosen is at
> > https://github.com/DoctorWkt/4bsd-uucp/blob/master/uucp_sites.txt
>
> I don't see kremvax listed.  If nobody else will, I'll operate a kremvax
> installation.
>
> khm

Ahem - my name is Arnold Robbins - my domain is "Skeeve" ... :-)

Please fix the file.

Arnold

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-08 22:33         ` Kurt H Maier
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2017-03-08 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 08:16:45AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:

> The list of people and sites they have chosen is at
> https://github.com/DoctorWkt/4bsd-uucp/blob/master/uucp_sites.txt

I don't see kremvax listed.  If nobody else will, I'll operate a kremvax
installation.

khm

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-08 22:31         ` Dave Horsfall
                           ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-03-08 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm surprised no-one's taken decvax, ihnp4, cbosgd...

...!utzoo!dave[.UUCP] one day...

* [TUHS] UUCP: working systems, come and get them
@ 2017-03-08 22:16       ` Warren Toomey
                           ` (4 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-08 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-03-08  9:20     ` Warren Toomey