The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] RT/PC-centric AIX history
@ 2017-03-10 14:05 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-10 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Jason Stevens

    > it also appears that AOS was the router backbone of the NSFNet once
    > they started to migrate off of the IMPs

Say what? IMPs were only every used in the ARPANET (and networks built by BBN
for private clients using that technology).

The first routers used in the NSFNET were things called Fuzzballs - PDP-11's
running software from Dave Mills, driving 56KB lines.

They eventually decided they needed to step up a level, and a consortium
involving IBM won, with IBM RT PC's running AIX driving T1 lines.

	Noel

* [TUHS] RT/PC-centric AIX history
@ 2017-03-09 19:41 Charles H Sauer
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Charles H Sauer @ 2017-03-09 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've refrained from jumping into AIX & RT/PC discussions on TUHS. It seems
more appropriate to summarize AIX history than try to correct or clarify
specifics out of context.

I wrote about 5 pages, got feedback, revised accordingly, and posted at
https://notes.technologists.com/notes/2017/03/08/lets-start-at-the-very-beginning-801-romp-rtpc-aix-versions/.

Charlie