The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 4.3 Wisc file transfer
@ 2017-04-09 23:10 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-04-09 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Mary Ann Horton

    > What's the best way to transfer files in and out of the simh 4.3BSD Wisc
    > version?  I can do it with tape files, but it seems like FTP or ssh or
    > NFS ought to be possible, and none is behaving at first blush.

Someone should add the equivalent of Ersatz-11's 'DOS' device to SIMH; it's a
pseudo-device that can read files on the host filesystem. (Other stuff too,
but that's the relevant one here.) A short device driver in the emulated OS,
and a program to talk to it, and voila, getting a file into the emulated
system is a short one line command, none of this hassle with putting the bits
on a virtual tape, etc, etc.

I found editing files with 'ed' on my simulated V6 system painful (although i
still have the mental microcode to do it), so I did my editing under Windows
(Epsilon), and then read the file down to the Unix to compile it. Initially I
was doing it by putting the file on a raw virtual pack, and doing something
similar to that tape kludge. Then I got smart, and whipped up a driver for the
DOS device in Ersatz-11, and a program that used it, to allow me to easily
read a file from the Windows filesystem down to the Unix. Going around the
compile-debug-edit loop is totally painless now.

	Noel

* [TUHS] 4.3 Wisc file transfer
@ 2017-04-09 17:14 Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2017-04-09 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Apologies if this is already on the list somewhere.

What's the best way to transfer files in and out of the simh 4.3BSD Wisc
version?  I can do it with tape files, but it seems like FTP or ssh or
NFS ought to be possible, and none is behaving at first blush.

Also, what's the recommended way to shut down the system?  I shutdown
now to single user, then sync a few times, then ^E, but when I boot
again I get fsck errors serious enough to require a manual fsck (which
generally works fine.)

Thanks,

     Mary Ann