On 6 May 2017 15:23 +0000, from rminnich at gmail.com (ron minnich): > This is why the things like the Therac 25 happened ... > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25 Or the Ariane 5 flight 501, which according to Wikipedia cost more than 370 million dollars (and resulted in the total loss of the spacecraft). I would say a few million or even a few tens of millions of dollars to double-check the software, or even write new software specifically designed for the Ariane 5 rather than reuse software designed for the Ariane 4 outside of that software's design limits, might not have been a bad way to spend money there. And that was in 1996. Hardly that long ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariane_5#Notable_launches https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_%28spacecraft%29 -- Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se “People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we don’t.” (Bjarne Stroustrup)