On 6 May 2017 08:24 -0700, from lm at mcvoy.com (Larry McVoy): >> I would absolutely not say that doing something like that is standard >> practice in modern programming. Even in microcontrollers, where >> program and data memory can be scarce even today, I would argue that >> the costs would not outweigh the benefits by a long shot. > > It strikes as being similar to Duff's device (1). Which is a niche thing > but I still use that from time to time. Not to save memory, just because > as a C programmer it seems pretty natural to do it. > > --lm > > (1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duff's_device I disagree; loop unrolling and jumping to the beginning of some instruction inside that unrolled loop is not at all the same thing as jumping _into the middle of a machine language instruction_. -- Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se “People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we don’t.” (Bjarne Stroustrup)