On 15 May 2017 14:35 +1000, from dave at horsfall.org (Dave Horsfall): > (Sigh; "cdecl" really needs to print a "> " prompt or something.) It does print "cdecl> " as a prompt on my system. $ cdecl Type `help' or `?' for help cdecl> explain int*()* f syntax error cdecl> declare f as ptr to function returning ptr to int int *(*f)() cdecl> ^D $ However, running it with -q turns this off: $ cdecl -q declare f as ptr to function returning ptr to int int *(*f)() ^D $ The man page for mine says 2.5, Jan 1996, and the Debian package version says 2.5-11. 1996 in 2017 is old even for Debian. Are you sure that you don't have a stray alias somewhere, or something that might be causing it to misdetect as not running in a terminal? -- Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se “People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we don’t.” (Bjarne Stroustrup)