The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] CSTR 122 on CHEM?
@ 2017-08-17 14:42 arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-08-17 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone have this, even just in PostScript?

Thanks,

Arnold

P.S. Chem itself is at http://www.netlib.org/typesetting/chem.

* [TUHS] CSTR 122 on CHEM?
@ 2017-08-17 16:39 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2017-08-17 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/122.ps.gz
From: arnold @ 2017-08-17 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Steve Simon" <steve at quintile.net> wrote:

> http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/122.ps.gz

Most excellent!  Thanks!

* [TUHS] CSTR 122 on CHEM?
@ 2017-08-17 17:58   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-08-17 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Steve Simon" <steve at quintile.net> wrote:

> http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/122.ps.gz

OK, so how do I actually get the file?  I seem to not be able to figure
out how the Wayback machine works. :-(

Thanks,

Arnold

* [TUHS] CSTR 122 on CHEM?
@ 2017-08-17 18:22     ` arnold
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: arnold @ 2017-08-17 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

arnold at skeeve.com wrote:

> "Steve Simon" <steve at quintile.net> wrote:
>
> > http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/122.ps.gz
>
> OK, so how do I actually get the file?  I seem to not be able to figure
> out how the Wayback machine works. :-(
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arnold

And to answer my own question:

1. Install the wayback machine downloader: https://github.com/hartator/wayback-machine-downloader

2. Download the whole directory with

	wayback_machine_downloader http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/

The results will be in websites/cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/ created
in the directory where you run the command.

Warren - can you do this for the archives?

Thanks!

Arnold

* [TUHS] CSTR 122 on CHEM?
@ 2017-08-17 18:38     ` Michael Kjörling
From: Michael Kjörling @ 2017-08-17 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Aug 2017 11:58 -0600, from arnold at skeeve.com:
>> http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/122.ps.gz
>
> OK, so how do I actually get the file?  I seem to not be able to figure
> out how the Wayback machine works. :-(

Here's a quick way to get the _most recently archived_ version of a
URL from the Wayback Machine:

Take https://web.archive.org/web/99991232235959/

Append the URL of interest, including protocol.

That would be
https://web.archive.org/web/99991232235959/http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/122.ps.gz

Feed that to your web browser or other HTTP client.

It will redirect to the most recent version, which in this case
appears to be
https://web.archive.org/web/20070203045131/http://cm.bell-labs.com:80/cm/cs/cstr/122.ps.gz

Alternatively, you need Javascript enabled to see on which dates they
archived the URL in question (that'd be the '*' variant, except I
access the Wayback Machine over HTTPS), then hover over a colored date
to see the list of snapshots on that date, then click the time link to
go to that version of the URL.

They used to have until recently a UI that didn't require executing
client-side Javascript... I suppose that's called progress.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se

* [TUHS] CSTR 122 on CHEM?
@ 2017-08-17 18:48       ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-08-17 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hover over one of highlighted (capture) dates on the calendar that comes
up after following this link:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/122.ps.gz

February 3rd for example. You'll see the time in the bubble. Click on
the time. It'll start the download.

On 8/17/2017 2:22 PM, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
> arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
>
>> "Steve Simon" <steve at quintile.net> wrote:
>>
>>> http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/122.ps.gz
>> OK, so how do I actually get the file?  I seem to not be able to figure
>> out how the Wayback machine works. :-(
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Arnold
> And to answer my own question:
>
> 1. Install the wayback machine downloader: https://github.com/hartator/wayback-machine-downloader
>
> 2. Download the whole directory with
>
> 	wayback_machine_downloader http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/
>
> The results will be in websites/cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/ created
> in the directory where you run the command.
>
> Warren - can you do this for the archives?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Arnold

* [TUHS] CSTR 122 on CHEM?
@ 2017-08-17 19:19       ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2017-08-17 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry I'm late with this, but this particular file is also available at
https://9p.io/cm/cs/cstr/122.ps.gz

I'm unsure how complete 9p.io's mirror is, but it hasn't let me down
yet.

khm

* [TUHS] CSTR 122 on CHEM?
@ 2017-08-18 10:38       ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-08-18 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to everyone who sent me copies and who sent instructions
and advince on how to use the Wayback machine.  I really appreciate
it.

Arnold