The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] What was the first edition of UNIX that left AT&T
@ 2017-09-02  2:12 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-09-02  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: "Jeremy C. Reed"

    > I don't know the key for "v" but maybe means "very distant host"

Yes. See:

  http://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/jpg/ARPANet/L77Dec.jpg

and look at the MIT-44 IMP (upper right center). It's listed as having a
PDP-11, with the /v, and that machine (LL-ASG, 1/44) was definitely on a VDH
(it was not in Tech Sq). (A VDH was basically an IMP modem interface
hardware-wise, but made to look like a host at a high level within the IMP
software.)

    > He also told me the Unix v6 Arpanet code was from San Diego.

Err, he may have gotten it from San Diego, but they didn't write the code, it
was written at UIll. See:

  http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SRI-NOSC

which contains a copy of the code, which came to me via NOSC in SD.

      Noel

* [TUHS] What was the first edition of UNIX that left AT&T
@ 2017-09-02  1:51             ` Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2017-09-02  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > On Sep 1, 2017, at 7:16 PM, Clem cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
> >
> > Interesting. If O'Malley had a connection wonder what it was
> > connected too on both sides.  It had to be to lbl but the Vdh was a
> > piece of shit even in the ingvax days.  The first version was even
> > worse.  On the ucb side I wonder.  It would not have been Unix
> > because UofI did the original arpanet code and that was for v6.
> > There was never a pdp10 at ucb so I wonder if it was one of the CDC
> > machines which were the primary systems until Unix came to be.

Regarding the ARPA network at UCB, see ARPANET Completion Report at
http://walden-family.com/bbn/arpanet-completion-report.pdf PDF page 199
"ARPA NETWORK, LOGICAL MAP, SEPTEMBER 1973" shows LBL with 316-based
IMP. The next page (June 1974) shows it (LBL IMP) linked with UCB with a
PDP-11 "v".

I don't know the key for "v" but maybe means "very distant host" as
defined in Report 1822 Appendix F (PDF page 151 at
http://walden-family.com/impcode/BBN1822_Jan1976.pdf ), If that is what
it is, the BBN 1822 Section F.3.4 suggests "[e]ither an EIA RS232C
interface or the special Bell 303 [modem] interface can be used. Speeds
up to 230.4 kilobits/second are permitted. ... At the Host site there
will be a mating full-duplex modem."

"UCB" was removed from the Oct. 1976 map, but it still shows a PDP-11
"v" link. And the remote link removed from map in March 1977.

Allman told me the INGRES link was a "VDH (Very Distant Host) interface,
which was essentially a 9600 baud modem that took up most of a rack,
plus a rather large card that plugged into the UNIBUS on the PDP-11."

He also told me the Unix v6 Arpanet code was from San Diego. (I still
don't know about the earlier connection but I assume was not on Unix.)

* [TUHS] What was the first edition of UNIX that left AT&T
       [not found]         ` <D66F0B83-AC94-4A47-9847-D709D8BAAE27@ccc.com>
@ 2017-09-02  0:24           ` Clem cole
From: Clem cole @ 2017-09-02  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did hear back from Lou Katz - user #1.  Indeed the first version that escaped the labs was the 4th edition.

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.

@ 2017-09-01 21:59       ` Jeremy C. Reed
       [not found]         ` <D66F0B83-AC94-4A47-9847-D709D8BAAE27@ccc.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2017-09-01 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-09-01 19:58     ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-09-01 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks - I've already sent Lou a note, which he has not yet responded.  I
should have remembered he was user #1.

So, my guess is that Lou had 4th edition at this point.

Although from your comments, I'm a little surprised Berkeley went back that
far, give than BSD (1.0) was all sixth edition and post Ken's sabbatical.
The Industrial Liaisons Office (ILO) in EECS which ran all of that had
existed for a number of years (since the late 1960s).  They were already
distributing things like SPICE and SPLICE.  So the idea of giving away
there SW work was really well ingrained in the Berkeley way of doing things
in EECS.

BSD (1.0) in fact used the original SPICE distribution process in the ILO
(as I suspect Ingress would have also a few years later).   While folks
think of the later CSRG stuff, that was later - once UCB got the support
contract from DARPA.  Originally it was just the fruits of the labors of
the folks in EECS being package and distributed to the folk what worked
with them as managed by the ILO (which was originally folks like AT&T, IBM,
HP, Tektronix, DEC, Intel, Fairchild, *etc*...)

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 3:05 PM, Jeremy C. Reed <reed at reedmedia.net> wrote:

> > "A Quarter Century of UNIX" says:
>
> And in Salus later book, The Daemon, the Gnu, and the Penguin (which I
> published for him), he quotes Allman as using 4th edition at Berkeley.
> Allman also told me (for my BSD history book in progress), that when he
> got involved INGRES was running on 5th Edition and he helped with the
> transition to 6th Edition.
>
> Also McKusick's 1985 article "A BERKELEY ODYSSEY: Ten years of BSD
> history" says the version 4 tape was delivered in Jan. 1974 (and used on
> PDP 11/45) and INGRES was running the newly-available Version 5 of Unix
> in the spring of 1974 (on PDP 11/40).
>
> (Following from my book...)
>
> The University of California --- via the
> San Francisco Medical School Campus --- was recently
> licensed by Western Electric to use Unix. (Fortunately, the
> licenses from Western Electric were per-organization rather than
> per-computer.)
> So Fabry was able to get started with Unix much more quickly than anyone
> would have imagined.\cite{fabry2}
> %
> % NOTE: here is the license for it: archives/1970s/UC_License_4thEd.pdf
> % effective Dec. 1, 1973, licensee was the Regents of the Univ.
> % NOTE: it says for the location of School of Medicine
> % signed on Jan. 7 and 16, 1974
> % 2.01
> The license allowed use solely for academic and educational purposes.
> % 4.05
> In addition, the University was prohibited from sharing the software
> --- including its methods or concepts --- to anyone other than the
> University employees or students.
> % NOTE: no version of Unix is mentioned in the license

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] What was the first edition of UNIX that left AT&T
@ 2017-09-01 19:05   ` Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2017-09-01 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-08-31 23:27 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-08-31 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 06:33:04PM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
>   I was recently asked a question that I was not sure the answer, so I
>   thought I would pass it to this group of folks.
>   What was the first edition that actually left Murray Hill and where did
>   it go?

"A Quarter Century of UNIX" says:

... after the first paper was delivered in October 1973, you could
have the bits put on your RK05 disks. In the early spring of 1974, Lou
Katz (then at Columbia University) organized a meeting of Unix users.
Columbia had been the recipient of the first distribution—first on
disk, then on 9-track tape—in the autumn (”Cy got RK05s for the department,”
Katz told me, ”but we didn’t have a drive, so I drove down
to Murray Hill and Ken cut me a 9-track tape") The meeting was held
on May 15, 1974, in the Merritt Conference Room on the third floor
of Columbia's College of Physicians and Surgeons ...

Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] What was the first edition of UNIX that left AT&T
@ 2017-08-31 23:20 ` Theo Pavlidis
From: Theo Pavlidis @ 2017-08-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Unix arrived at Princeton in the early 1970's and it might have been the
third or fourth edition. The first time I heard about Unix was from one of
my graduate students who was just starting work on his thesis, so it must
have been before 1974. (He got his degree in May 1975 and this the only
date I am sure about ;-)...)

Princeton is geographically close to Murray Hill (30 miles or so) and there
was a lot of interaction between the two. I left Princeton in 1980 to join
1127 and another Princeton colleague had moved a year earlier.

Theo Pavlidis

@ 2017-08-31 22:33 Clem Cole