The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: bakul@bitblocks.com (Bakul Shah)
Subject: [TUHS] C question for the historians
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 12:43:18 -0800	[thread overview]

On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 20:13:31 +0000 ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
ron minnich writes:

> For me one of the worst is the 80-column requirement that came from out of
> I don't know where. Let's see, we're all getting 4k monitors, and yet
> somehow
> 80 columns is how we have to write code? Hollerith would be proud.

Put me in the 80 column column!  Very wide screens have the
same issue as moden webpages which are content light and white
space heavy arctic look. With 80 columns you can almost scan
top to bottom without moving eye focus left to right too much.

The 4k monitors are for opening *multiple* 80 column windows :-)