The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: andreas.kahari@icm.uu.se (Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri)
Subject: [TUHS] A man easter-egg (gimme gimme gimme)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 10:50:49 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 01:48:30AM -0700, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
> Edouard KLEIN <edouardklein at gmail.com> wrote:
[cut]
> > Subject: Re: [TUHS] A man easter-egg (gimme gimme gimme)
> > > first circulated, or was it frowned upon ?
> >
> > As a former developer and manager, I would be really pissed off if my
> > programmers wasted their time on writing useless frippery instead of
> > quality code, and I would certainly have a little chat with them...
>
> I think that this is totally appropriate for code being developed
> for a paid product.
>
> Arnold

Hmm... As a manager, I'd be more annoyed if the code did not perform
according to spec than I would be if single programmer spent half an
hour amusing themselves.  Being pedantic about time is a surefire way of
demotivating a dev team.

No matter who pays (or not pays) for the code to be produced, the end
user, no matter it's clinical staff in a hospital or your uncle's son,
need to be guaranteed that the code doesn't trigger unexpected behaviour
when used.  The risk of that is usually smaller if the product does not
contain any easter eggs.

--
Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri,
National Bioinformatics Infrastructure Sweden (NBIS),