"Ron Natalie" writes: > My guess is the tty culture on UNIX revolved around the Model 37.     This had > upper and lower case as well as having the concept of NEWLINE as both the shoot > the paper up and move the type element back to the left side.    It ceratainly > is ingrained into nroff, all those ESC-8/ESC-9 stuff that nroff puts out are > direct commands to the Model 37. > > I suspect that it was just the case that most PDP consoles were Model 33’s.   > They were cheaper and pretty ubiquitous.   Even when I started with UNIX in > 1977, most of our machines had Model 33 consoles even if they had CRTs or > fancier printing terminals (LA36 or Model 37’s). I don't think that I agree with this. I recall that there was a "public terminal room" on maybe the 4th floor of building 2 that was filled with random terminals of all types hooked to modems. It's where I first came across glass ttys. I know that many of the UNIX machines had modems; I would borrow a Silent 700 or Execuport so that I could work from home which annoyed my parents since I would tie up the phone. So while I don't recall doing so one could dial one up from one of the glass ttys in the public terminal room. Jon