The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] shell PS1/PS2 which survive cut-paste
@ 2017-12-06  1:22 George Michaelson
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: George Michaelson @ 2017-12-06  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried a long time ago to set PS1 and PS2 to character sequences
which would permit cut-paste to work. I failed, but I didn't try very
hard.

The choice of "# " and "> " interests me. Because roots prompt of
"hash" has a side effect of making a cut-paste over it a comment in
most shells.

But.. it predates being *able* to cut-paste so it has to be a
side-effect, not a design choice.

"> " is more dangerous in cut-paste. Which again feels like a
side-effect both by anachronistic time effects, and intent: nobody
would be that suicidally mad to make cut-paste invoke shell
pre-forming the command sequence which neccessarily zeros out the >
targets before executing the cmd...

-G

[parent not found: <mailman.402.1512547277.9955.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>]