The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: lm@mcvoy.com (Larry McVoy)
Subject: [TUHS] net neutrality
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 12:13:39 -0800	[thread overview]

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 03:10:22PM -0500, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > From: Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com>
>
>     > look at the history, various ISPs like Verizon, Comcast, etc, have done
>     > stuff like block bittorrent, skype, etc
>
> Bittorrent is a complex situation, some ISPs were ordered by a court to block
> it.
>
> As to Skype, I agree ISPs shouldn't block sites - but if you read my message,
> I already said that.
>

>     > The problem is I paid for the bits.  Bits is bits.  I paid for a rate,
>     > that's what they got paid for, why should they get to charge a second
>     > time for the same bits? That's exactly what they want to do.
>
> Fine, you pay your money, you get X Mbits/second.
>
> If you (or the site you're getting bits from) wants _more_ than X
> Mbits/second, charging you - or them, which is I gather mostly what ISPs want
> to do - for that privilege is a problem... how?

Did you read the reddit link I sent?  Because if you had you wouldn't be
asking this.  I took the time to go find it, it lays out past bad behaviour
that is nothing like what you are suggesting.  It took me a while to find
it, you could at least scan it and then maybe there is a conversation to
be had (not sure what though, it's pretty obvious in this, and pretty much
every other case, that unregulated businesses will do whatever they can to
make more money with absolutely no concern about the consequences).