The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Happy birthday, C.A.R. Hoare!
@ 2018-01-10 21:33 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-01-10 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sir Charles Antony Richard Hoare FRS FREng was born on this day in 1934; a
computer pioneer (one of the greats) he gave us things like the quicksort
algorithm and ALGOLW (a neat language).

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, C.A.R. Hoare!
@ 2018-01-11  0:20 ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2018-01-11  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 January 2018 at 16:33, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> Sir Charles Antony Richard Hoare FRS FREng was born on this day in 1934; a
> computer pioneer (one of the greats) he gave us things like the quicksort
> algorithm and ALGOLW (a neat language).

Certainly agree with your opinion of Hoare but did the "W" in ALGOLW
not stand for Wirth?

N.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, C.A.R. Hoare!
@ 2018-01-11  0:49 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2018-01-11  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 08:33:20 +1100 Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
Dave Horsfall writes:
> Sir Charles Antony Richard Hoare FRS FREng was born on this day in 1934; a
> computer pioneer (one of the greats) he gave us things like the quicksort
> algorithm and ALGOLW (a neat language).

And conditional critical regions.  And Monitors (jointly with
Per Brinch Hansen).  And CSP. And much more. His "an axiomatic
basis for computer programming" paper was quite influential.
His Turing Award lecture "Emperor's Old Clothes" is well worth
(re)reading.

  http://zoo.cs.yale.edu/classes/cs422/2014/bib/hoare81emperor.pdf

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, C.A.R. Hoare!
@ 2018-01-11  1:24   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-01-11  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018, Nemo wrote:

> Certainly agree with your opinion of Hoare but did the "W" in ALGOLW not
> stand for Wirth?

Dunno, but according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALGOL_W we have:

``ALGOL W is a programming language. It is based on a proposal for ALGOL X
   by Niklaus Wirth and Tony Hoare as a successor to ALGOL 60 in IFIP
   Working Group 2.1.''

It was a brilliant language, and it got me hooked on structural
programming etc; hitherto my knowledge was confined to BASIC (shudder) and
FORTRAN (double shudder).  And then SNOBOL blew my mind, and PL/I, and
PL/360, and Pascal, and...

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, C.A.R. Hoare!
@ 2018-01-11  8:05   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2018-01-11  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nemo <cym224 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 January 2018 at 16:33, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> > Sir Charles Antony Richard Hoare FRS FREng was born on this day in 1934; a
> > computer pioneer (one of the greats) he gave us things like the quicksort
> > algorithm and ALGOLW (a neat language).
>
> Certainly agree with your opinion of Hoare but did the "W" in ALGOLW
> not stand for Wirth?
>
> N.

Indeed it did. Wirth did AlgolW before he did Pascal.

Arnold

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, C.A.R. Hoare!
@ 2018-01-11 10:21     ` helbig
From: helbig @ 2018-01-11 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Dave,

Am 11.01.2018 um 02:24 schrieb Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org>:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018, Nemo wrote:
>
>> Certainly agree with your opinion of Hoare but did the "W" in ALGOLW not stand for Wirth?
>
> Dunno, but according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALGOL_W we have:
>
> ``ALGOL W is a programming language. It is based on a proposal for ALGOL X
>  by Niklaus Wirth and Tony Hoare as a successor to ALGOL 60 in IFIP
>  Working Group 2.1.''

As Hoare reported in his Turing Award Lecture "The Emperors Old Clothes"

http://zoo.cs.yale.edu/classes/cs422/2014/bib/hoare81emperor.pdf,

Wirth soley designed Algol W based on proposals of a small group of which Hoare was a member.

Greetings

Wolfgang
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, C.A.R. Hoare!
@ 2018-01-11 21:50   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-01-11 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018, Bakul Shah wrote:

> And conditional critical regions.  And Monitors (jointly with Per Brinch
> Hansen).  And CSP. And much more. His "an axiomatic basis for computer
> programming" paper was quite influential. His Turing Award lecture
> "Emperor's Old Clothes" is well worth (re)reading.

Noted; thanks.

* Re: [TUHS] Happy birthday, C.A.R. Hoare!
@ 2019-01-11  4:32   ` Paul McJones
From: Paul McJones @ 2019-01-11  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem cole, Dave Horsfall; +Cc: tuhs

Reference [1] in my previous message should have been: https://doi.org/10.1145/365696.365702

       [not found] <mailman.1.1547172001.17201.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
@ 2019-01-11  4:29 ` Paul McJones
From: Paul McJones @ 2019-01-11  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem cole, Dave Horsfall; +Cc: tuhs

In the June 1966 CACM [1], Wirth and Hoare published "A contribution to the development of ALGOL”, which describes a language very similar to Algol W. In Wirth’s Turing Award lecture (published in the Feb 1985 CACM [2]) "From programming language design to computer construction”, he noted:

“The Working Group assumed the task of proposing a successor and soon split into two camps. On one side were the ambitious who wanted to erect another milestone in language design, and, on the other, those who felt that time was pressing and that an adequately extended ALGOL 60 would be a productive endeavor. I belonged to this second party and submitted a proposal that lost the election. Thereafter, the proposal was improved with contributions from Tony Hoare (a member of the same group) and implemented on Stanford University's first IBM 360. The language later became known as ALGOL W and was used in several universities for teaching purposes.”

In particular, Hoare’s work on “Record Handling” (see [3]) had a strong impact on Algol W and Wirth’s later languages.

@ 2019-01-11  0:06 ` Clem cole
From: Clem cole @ 2019-01-11  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2019-01-10 23:58 ` Kyle Spiers
From: Kyle Spiers @ 2019-01-10 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Do you have these birthday posts in a google calendar I can add?

@ 2019-01-10 23:52 Dave Horsfall