The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] lisp challenge
@ 2018-02-16 21:01 Larry McVoy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-02-16 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

So people have called me on the claim that lisp is not fast.  Here's a
rebuttal.

Please write a clone of GNU grep in lisp to demonstrate that the claim
that lisp is slower that C is false.

Best of luck and I'll be super impressed if you can get even remotely
close without dropping into C or assembler.  If you do get close, I
will with draw my claim, stand corrected, point future "lisp is slow"
people at the lisp-grep, and buy you dinner and/or drinks.

--lm

* [TUHS] lisp challenge
@ 2018-02-16 23:44 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-02-16 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com>

    > the proof here is to show up with a pure lisp grep that is fast as the C
    > version. ... I've never seen a lisp program that out performed a well
    > written C program.

Your exact phrase (which my response was in reply to) was "lisp and
performance is not a thing". You didn't say 'LISP is not just as fast as C' -
a different thing entirely. I disagreed with your original statement, which
seems to mean 'LISP doesn't perform well'.

Quite a few people spent quite a lot of time making LISP compiler output fast,
to the point that it was possible to say "this compiler is also intended to
compete with the S-1 Pascal and FORTRAN compilers for quality of compiled
numeric code" [Brooks,Gabriel and Steele, 1982] and "with the development of
the S-1 Lisp compiler, it once again became feasible to implement Lisp in Lisp
and to expect similar performance to the best hand-tuned,
assembly-language-based Lisp systems" [Steele and Gabriel, 1993].

	Noel