The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Internet!
@ 2018-04-06 20:56 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-04-06 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Internet (spelled with a capital "I", please, as it is a proper noun)
was born on this day in 1969, when RFC-1 got published; it described the
IMP and ARPAnet.

As I said at a club lecture once, there are many internets, but only one
Internet.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Internet!
@ 2018-04-09 15:37 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-04-09 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Clem Cole

    > first of Jan 83 was the day the Arpanet was supposed to be turned off

Err, NCP, not the ARPANet. The latter kept running for quite some time,
serving as the Internet's wide-area backbone, and was only slowly turned off
(IMP by IMP) in the late 80's, with the very last remnants finally being
turned off in 1990.

    > The truth is, it did not happen, there were a few exceptions granted for
    > some sites that were not quite ready (I've forgotten now).

A few, yes, but NCP was indeed turned off for most hosts on January 1, 1983.

    > From: "Erik E. Fair"

    > as of the advent of TCP/IP, all those Ethernet and Chaosnet connected
    > workstations became first class hosts on the Internet, which they
    > could not be before.

Huh? As I just pointed out, TCP/IP (and the Internet) was a going concern well
_before_ January 1, 1983 - and one can confidently say that even had NCP _not_
been turned off, history would have proceeded much as it actually did, since
all the machines not on the ARPANET would have wanted to be connected to the
Internet.

(Also, to be technical, I'm not sure if TCP/IP ever really ran on CHAOSNet
hardware - I know I did a spec for it, and the C Gateway implemented it, and
there was a Unix machine at EECS that tried to use it, but it was not a great
success. Workstations connected to the CHAOSNet as of that date - AFAIK, just
LISP Machines - could only get access to the Internet via service gateways,
since at that point they all only implemented the CHAOS protocols; Symbolics
did TCP/IP somewhat later, IIRC, although I don't know the exact date.)

	Noel

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Internet!
@ 2018-04-09 14:57 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-04-09 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Clem Cole

    > Katie Hafner's: Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins Of The Internet
    > It's a great read

Yes, she did a great deal of careful research, and it's quite accurate.

It _is_ pointed toward a general readership, not a technical one, so it's not
necessarily the best _technical_ history (which she had the material at hand
to produce, had she wanted to - but did not). Still, very worthwhile.

	Noel

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Internet!
@ 2018-04-09 14:52 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-04-09 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Steve Nickolas

    > I thought the epoch of the Internet was January 1, 1983.

Turning off NCP was a significant step, but not that big a deal in terms of
its actual effects, really.

For those of us already on the Internet before that date (since as the number
of ARPANet ports was severely limited, for many non-ARPANet-connected machines
- which were almost all time-sharing systems, at that point in time, so lots
of actual users - there was a lot of value in an Internet connection, so there
were quite a few), it didn't produce any significant change - the universe of
machines we could talk to didn't change (since we could only talk to
ARPANet-connected machines with TCP), etc.

And for ARPANET-connected machines, there too, things didn't change much - the
services available (remote login, email, etc) remained the same - it was just
carried over TCP, not NCP.

I guess in some sense it marked 'coming of age' for TCP/IP, but I'd analogize
it to that, rather than a 'birth' date.

	Noel

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Internet!
@ 2018-04-07 12:50 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-04-07 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Dave Horsfall

    > The Internet ... was born on this day in 1969, when RFC-1 got published

I have this vague memory that the Internet-History list decided that the
appropriate day was actually the day the format of the v4 headers was set,
i.e. 16 June, 1978. (See IEN-68, pg. 12, top.)

Picking the date of RFC-1 seems a little odd. Why not the day the first packet
was send over a deployed IMP, or the day the RFP was sent out, or the contract
let? And the ARPANet was just one predecessor; one might equally have picked a
CYCLADES date...

    > (spelled with a capital "I", please, as it is a proper noun) ... As I
    > said at a club lecture once, there are many internets, but only one
    > Internet.

I myself prefer the formulation 'there are many white houses, but only one
White House'! :-)

      Noel

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Internet!
@ 2018-04-07  4:54 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2018-04-07  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just had a look at RFC-1, my first look ever. First thing I noticed is
the enormous amount of abbreviations one is assumed to be able to
instantly place :-)

So looking up IMP for instance the wiki page gives me this funny titbit

"When Massachusetts Senator Edward Kennedy learned of BBN's
accomplishment in signing this million-dollar agreement, he sent a
telegram congratulating the company for being contracted to build the
"Interfaith Message Processor"."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interface_Message_Processor

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Internet!
@ 2017-04-07  4:48 Dave Horsfall
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-04-07  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Internet (spelled with a capital "I", please, as it is a proper noun)
was born in 1969, when RFC-1 got published; it described the IMP and