The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS]  Software Tools now in Wikipedia
@ 2018-04-10 10:52 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2018-04-10 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I rewrote the article on the Software Tools project

An excellent job, Deborah.

> the Software Tools movement established one of the earliest traditions of open source

Would you be open to saying "reestablished"? Open source (not so called,
and in no way portable) was very much a tradition of SHARE in the late
1950s. Portability, as exemplified in ACM's collected algorithms, came
in at the same time that industry moved to a model of trade secrets and
intellectual property. Open source went into eclipse.

Doug

* [TUHS] Software Tools now in Wikipedia
@ 2018-04-10  4:31 ` Gregg Levine
From: Gregg Levine @ 2018-04-10  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!
That's amazing. I know of both Dennis Hall, especially Dennis Hall,
and that of Joseph S. Sventek via Cliff Stoll's book "Cuckoo's Egg" of
course.

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com

@ 2018-04-09 21:28 Deborah Scherrer