The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] [GROFF] groff as a asis for comprehensive documentation
@ 2018-04-20  0:56 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2018-04-20  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ingo wrote:

> i have been working hard to reduce the number of options of low usefulness

Ah, soothing classical Unix Musik, so rare in the cacophonous Linux era.

Doug

* [TUHS] [GROFF] groff as a asis for comprehensive documentation
@ 2018-04-20  9:09 ` ches@Cheswick.com
From: ches@Cheswick.com @ 2018-04-20  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ah, soothing classical Unix Musik, so rare in the cacophonous Linux era.

I understand Linus is actually removing code from his kernel in the next release. It’s a little of what it needs a lot of.

* [TUHS] [GROFF] groff as a asis for comprehensive documentation
@ 2018-04-20  9:13   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-04-20  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018, ches at Cheswick.com wrote:

>> Ah, soothing classical Unix Musik, so rare in the cacophonous Linux
>> era.
>
> I understand Linus is actually removing code from his kernel in the next
> release. It’s a little of what it needs a lot of.

I've often referred to Linux as "The Windows of the Unix world".

* [TUHS] [GROFF] groff as a asis for comprehensive documentation
@ 2018-04-20 10:44     ` Cág
                         ` (4 more replies)
From: Cág @ 2018-04-20 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Horsfall wrote:

> I've often referred to Linux as "The Windows of the Unix world".

I wonder what operating systems people on this list use. AIX? BSD
variants? Or maybe even IRIX?

Also, OSX is "the Windows of the Unix world".

--
caóc

* [TUHS] [GROFF] groff as a asis for comprehensive documentation
@ 2018-04-20 12:07       ` David Collantes
                         ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: David Collantes @ 2018-04-20 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 April 2018 at 06:44, Cág <ca6c at bitmessage.ch> wrote:
[...]
> Also, OSX is "the Windows of the Unix world".

Hey, I take this as an offense! ^_^

--
David Collantes
+1-407-484-7171

* [TUHS] [GROFF] groff as a asis for comprehensive documentation
@ 2018-04-20 13:13       ` Chet Ramey
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chet Ramey @ 2018-04-20 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/20/18 6:44 AM, Cág wrote:
> Dave Horsfall wrote:
>
>> I've often referred to Linux as "The Windows of the Unix world".
>
> I wonder what operating systems people on this list use. AIX? BSD
> variants? Or maybe even IRIX?

I bet you'll find that many of us use Mac OS X on Apple hardware.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/

* [TUHS] [GROFF] groff as a asis for comprehensive documentation
@ 2018-04-20 14:59 ` Tim Bradshaw
From: Tim Bradshaw @ 2018-04-20 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 Apr 2018, at 01:56, Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> Ah, soothing classical Unix Musik, so rare in the cacophonous Linux era.

The problem is that 'rarely used options of limited usefulness' can mean two things: options which no-one finds useful and options which only a small number of people find very useful.  It is Not Funny when people decide to remove some option which not many people used but on which some critical bit of software you rely on turns out to depend.

I think the canonical example of that in my experience was echo -n and certain shell scripts which may or may not have edited passwd files, in the transition from BSDoid SunOS to SYSVoid SunOS.  I remember that being very much not funny.

(Note I don't want to start a big argument about this, I just think it's a bit more nuanced than the minimalists sometimes think.)

@ 2018-04-20 16:00       ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2018-04-20 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

As a workstation, Windows.

As a server, Solaris 11.x (for the time being).

On 4/20/2018 6:44 AM, Cág wrote:
> Dave Horsfall wrote:
>
>> I've often referred to Linux as "The Windows of the Unix world".
> I wonder what operating systems people on this list use. AIX? BSD
> variants? Or maybe even IRIX?
>
> Also, OSX is "the Windows of the Unix world".
>
> --
> caóc

* [TUHS] [GROFF] groff as a asis for comprehensive documentation
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-04-20 21:59       ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-04-20 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018, Cág wrote:

>> I've often referred to Linux as "The Windows of the Unix world".
>
> I wonder what operating systems people on this list use. AIX? BSD
> variants? Or maybe even IRIX?

My mail/web server is FreeBSD (of course), which is self-firewalled; that
latter task will soon be taken over by OpenBSD (of course).

The main client is a MacBook running Sierra (the poxy thing doesn't seem
to like High Sierra), as FreeBSD for all its advantages is a piss-poor
client.

I have images of NetBSD etc lying around somewhere, to try on new boxen.

And I keep a tame Debian laptop to see what the penguins have broken on my
projects[*]...

> Also, OSX is "the Windows of the Unix world".

I was calling Linux that a fair while before OSX came along.

[*]
Just one example: it's 'stty -f ..." on most systems, but "stty -F" on
Penguin/OS.  Why?

* [TUHS] [GROFF] groff as a asis for comprehensive documentation
                         ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-04-23 15:49       ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2018-04-23 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use Linux on the desktop and Linux for my servers.  Everything works
perfectly.

I used Mac for several years but drifted away for the following reasons:

1.  Their hardware is the best in the business - but not at 3 times the
price!

2.  The don't make 17" laptops anymore.

3.  OSX is great except for each place they drifted from Unix!

4.  I don't like them, essentially, being in cohorts with MS against
Linux.  (They can compete with Windows in terms of quality, but they can't
compete against the Linux price.)

5.  I don't like the proprietary nature of their ecosystem.

Blake McBride

@ 2018-04-23 18:48         ` Cág
From: Cág @ 2018-04-23 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)