The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Happy birthday, computer mouse!
@ 2018-04-27  9:57 Dave Horsfall
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-04-27  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Blimey, but I nearly missed this one (I was sick in bed).

On this day in 1981, some little company called Xerox PARC introduced
something called a "mouse" (mostly because it has a tail), but I'm
struggling to find more information about it; wasn't there a photo of a
big boxy device?

--
Dave Horsfall BSc DTM (VK2KFU) -- FuglySoft -- Gosford IT -- Unix/C/Perl (AbW)
People who fail to / understand security / surely will suffer. (tks: RichardM)

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, computer mouse!
@ 2018-04-27 10:18 ` Hellwig Geisse
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Hellwig Geisse @ 2018-04-27 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fr, 2018-04-27 at 19:57 +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> On this day in 1981, some little company called Xerox PARC introduced
> something called a "mouse" (mostly because it has a tail), but I'm
> struggling to find more information about it; wasn't there a photo of a
> big boxy device?

This seems to be a date which is much too late. Even Smalltalk-72
on the Alto used a pointing device. In his book "Smalltalk-80:
Bits of History, Words of Advice" Glenn Krasner wrote:
"Smalltalk-72 was ported to the Alto [...] Soon many interesting
and useful applications were written, including a mouse-driven
program editor [...]"

Hellwig

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, computer mouse!
@ 2018-04-27 10:58   ` William Corcoran
From: William Corcoran @ 2018-04-27 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Absolutely Hellwig.  Please take a look at the early DARPA/Internet RFCs from ~1969 and they make reference to a mouse.    I will try to dig it up.

BIll Corcoran

> On Apr 27, 2018, at 6:38 AM, Hellwig Geisse <hellwig.geisse at mni.thm.de> wrote:
>
>> On Fr, 2018-04-27 at 19:57 +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>>
>> On this day in 1981, some little company called Xerox PARC introduced
>> something called a "mouse" (mostly because it has a tail), but I'm
>> struggling to find more information about it; wasn't there a photo of a
>> big boxy device?
>>

> This seems to be a date which is much too late. Even Smalltalk-72
> on the Alto used a pointing device. In his book "Smalltalk-80:
> Bits of History, Words of Advice" Glenn Krasner wrote:
> "Smalltalk-72 was ported to the Alto [...] Soon many interesting
> and useful applications were written, including a mouse-driven
> program editor [...]"
>
> Hellwig

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, computer mouse!
@ 2018-04-27 11:13 ` Peter Jeremy
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Jeremy @ 2018-04-27 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2018-Apr-27 19:57:51 +1000, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>On this day in 1981, some little company called Xerox PARC introduced

Well, the company was Xerox.  PARC was their research facility.

>something called a "mouse" (mostly because it has a tail), but I'm

Douglas Engelbart demonstrated the mouse in his "Mother of All Demos" on
1968-Dec-09 (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJDv-zdhzMY).  According
to WP, he applied for the patent in 1967 so I'm not sure when he invented it.

--
Peter Jeremy
* [TUHS] Happy birthday, computer mouse!
@ 2018-04-27 12:13   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2018-04-27 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> On Apr 27, 2018, at 4:13 AM, Peter Jeremy <peter at rulingia.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2018-Apr-27 19:57:51 +1000, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>> On this day in 1981, some little company called Xerox PARC introduced
>
> Well, the company was Xerox.  PARC was their research facility.
>
>> something called a "mouse" (mostly because it has a tail), but I'm
>
> Douglas Engelbart demonstrated the mouse in his "Mother of All Demos" on
> 1968-Dec-09 (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJDv-zdhzMY).  According
> to WP, he applied for the patent in 1967 so I'm not sure when he invented it.
>
> --
> Peter Jeremy

According to
https://www.macworld.com/article/1137400/input-devices/mouse40.html

Bill English designed the first mouse in 1963 based on Engelbart’s sketches.

By 1982 we had access to a Mouse Systems’ mouse. I played with it but gave
up as it was no fun using it with a character only 80x25 screen.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, computer mouse!
@ 2018-04-27 12:48 ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2018-04-27 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
 |Blimey, but I nearly missed this one (I was sick in bed).
 |
 |On this day in 1981, some little company called Xerox PARC introduced
 |something called a "mouse" (mostly because it has a tail), but I'm
 |struggling to find more information about it; wasn't there a photo of a
 |big boxy device?

http://cerncourier.com/cws/article/cern/28358/1/cernbooks2_12-00

--steffen

@ 2018-04-27 14:47   ` Ronald Natalie
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2018-04-27 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Interesting Typography on the demo film.   Never seen capital letters identified with overscores.

PARC is well known for contributing things to the public that Xerox never quite got into a real product.   I always loved going to meetings there just to see what they had come up with this time.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, computer mouse!
@ 2018-04-27 18:23     ` Paul Winalski
From: Paul Winalski @ 2018-04-27 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/27/18, Ronald Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> PARC is well known for contributing things to the public that Xerox never
> quite got into a real product.   I always loved going to meetings there just
> to see what they had come up with this time.

For a while Gordon Bell used to hand out the Xerox PARC Award to the
R&D project that simultaneously did the most to advance the state of
the art and contributed the least to DEC's bottom line.

-Paul W.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, computer mouse!
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-04-27 21:00 ` Cág
From: Cág @ 2018-04-27 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

No offence, but anything that makes me move my fingers from my keyboard,
be it a mouse, a touchpad etc., takes a menacing look from me.

--
caóc

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, computer mouse!
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-04-27 23:06 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-04-27 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, folks; thanks for all the feedback (ouch!) and I'll check my
references better next time (along with my medications, as I have a
suspect pros gl.)