The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] please ignore this message
@ 2018-06-28 22:19 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2018-06-28 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

This tests a guess about anomalous behavior of the
mailing-list digest. I apologize for inflicting it
on everybody.

Doug

[-- Attachment #2: junk.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 9 bytes --]

junk.txt

[-- Attachment #3: junk.diff --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 10 bytes --]

junk.diff

* Re: [TUHS] please ignore this message
@ 2018-06-29  1:32 ` John P. Linderman
From: John P. Linderman @ 2018-06-29  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug McIlroy; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

With gmail, both attachments showed just (constant-width) single-line names
of the attachments, "junk.txt" and "junk.diff" (without the quotes).

@ 2018-06-29 12:54   ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2018-06-29 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug McIlroy; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

John P. Linderman wrote in <CAC0cEp-p2cnhXd37msaRCazMacNXHnM3CEe98vSvzUw\
2cpd9cw@mail.gmail.com>:
 |With gmail, both attachments showed just (constant-width) single-line \
 |names of the attachments, "junk.txt" and "junk.diff" (without the quotes).
 |
 |On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 6:19 PM, Doug McIlroy <[1]doug@cs.dartmouth.edu[\
 |/1]> wrote:
 |
 |  [1] mailto:doug@cs.dartmouth.edu
 |
 ||This tests a guess about anomalous behavior of the
 ||mailing-list digest. I apologize for inflicting it
 ||on everybody.
 |
 ||Doug

Both attachments where declared as text/plain, only the filename
differed.  This is possibly not what Doug McIlroy wanted to test.

Mr. Doug McIlroy, in order to convince your version of Heirloom
mailx to create the correct MIME type for .diff files you need to
provide a mime.types(5) file, as in

  echo 'text/x-diff diff patch' >> ~/.mime.types

It will also find this in /etc/mime.types.
(And i think there may also be a difference in the TUHS mailman
instance or configuration, as opposed to the GNU managed one that
drives the groff list.  I suppose you referred to the problem of
the groff digest you are reading.)

--steffen

@ 2018-06-29 13:00     ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2018-06-29 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hi,

Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> John P. Linderman wrote:
> > Doug McIlroy wrote:
> > > please ignore this message
>
> This is possibly not what Doug McIlroy wanted to test.

No, you're probably guessing correctly WRT groff.
I suggest we all just follow Doug's request.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy