The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-07-18  9:42 Hendrik Jan Thomassen
From: Hendrik Jan Thomassen @ 2018-07-18  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Several decades ago, Jim Joyce of San Francisco was one of the
more colorful chaps in the UNIX scene. Among other ventures he
had "The Independent UNIX Bookstore", and during Usenix conferences
he would rent a nearby hotel suite to sell his books to the
conference attendants. Jim once told me the following story (yes,
the topic is about dmr anecdotes).

One day a young man came to the hotel suite and asked, in a
somewhat exaggerated voice, "the best book to learn C programming".
Jim pointed at a gentleman in a nearby armchair, reading, and said:
"ask that gentleman because he knows everything there is to know
about C". So the young man approached said gentleman, and repeated
his question. The answer he got was: "Sorry, I can't help you,
because I never had to learn C". Which left the young man flabbergasted.

--
Hendrik-Jan Thomassen     <hjt@ATComputing.nl>
AT Computing              Linux opleiders & consultants

'If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.'

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-07-13 14:10                         ` ron
From: ron @ 2018-07-13 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The Eunuchs Hysterical Society'

Years ago I remember someone suggesting that freeware  be renamed “Fluegelware” after Andrew Fluegelman, a pioneer in the concept who had recently died.

I suggested we rename the C compiler “Ritchie” and the I got a “Let’s nip this in the bud” email back from Dennis in short order.

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-07-13  9:08                       ` ches@Cheswick.com
From: ches@Cheswick.com @ 2018-07-13  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Hunt; +Cc: TUHS main list

I am a fan of these routines, and use the regularly, but I didn’t write them.

Message by ches. Tappos by iPad.

@ 2018-07-11  3:12                           ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-07-11  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: TUHS main list

Nope, it went sideways.  But some of the most fun information I've gotten
here went sideways.  But if I offend I do beg your forgiveness.

--
---

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-07-11  1:37                         ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2018-07-11  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2018-07-11  1:37                         ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2018-07-11  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: TUHS main list

De gustibus non est disputandum.

De unibus non est synchronus and um.

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-07-11  1:31                       ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-07-11  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Hunt; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2018-07-11  0:20                     ` Noel Hunt
From: Noel Hunt @ 2018-07-11  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

@ 2018-07-10 14:10                 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-07-10 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aharon Robbins; +Cc: TUHS main list

Right (and I agree) -- widespread usage/really being noticed.
And that was because it came in the Summit releases not the Research/UCB
stream, which did not help either.
ᐧ

@ 2018-07-10  7:19                   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2018-07-10  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ggm, arnold; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2018-07-10  6:09                 ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2018-07-10  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2018-07-10  5:54               ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2018-07-10  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: random832, clemc; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2018-07-09 17:13             ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-07-09 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Random832; +Cc: tuhs

With V5/V6 C I/O was a lot like what Larry was describing for getopts(3) it
was all over over the map.  There was the portable I/O library which I sort
of think of as the prequel to studio but I don’t remember uSing it much.  I
must have run into most of the different ways people did I/O in some
program(s) but I don’t remember any one off hand.

I think the thing to remember is that at the time system programming
languages such as C and Bliss were noted for not having I/O built into the
language- it was supported externally.  DEC (CMU) with Bliss had rich set
of libraries (often in assembler already available) and force/matched by
them with their users.  Unix and C grew up independently which I think is
part of why it was a tad more random.   BY the time dmr adds stdio, it was

--
Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-07-09 16:30           ` Random832
From: Random832 @ 2018-07-09 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

@ 2018-07-03 17:34       ` Perry E. Metzger
From: Perry E. Metzger @ 2018-07-03 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Incredibly lame anecdote follows:

Decades ago, I buttonholed dmr at a Usenix ATC and asked him a
bunch of questions about early Unix kernels. I can't remember any of
the specifics any longer (which is a shame in itself), but I do
remember that instead of shooing me away, he was insanely polite and
kind even though he didn't know me and had no reason to be so nice.
Afterwards someone (I think it may have been Tom Christiansen)
pointed out to me that I'd taken up far too much of his time, and
said something to the effect that one had to be careful not to take
excess advantage of his kindness.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-07-03  7:27 arnold
From: arnold @ 2018-07-03  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hi All.

Kudos to Warren for helping me track down the original USENET postings
that make up a fun DMR story.

In October of 1985, a guy from Teklabs posted a long rant against
both Unix and the people at USENIX conferences.  The original
rant is available here (thanks Warren!):

> https://www.tuhs.org/Usenet/comp.org.usenix/1985-October/000163.html
> and in this text file:
> https://www.tuhs.org/Usenet/comp.org.usenix/1985-October.txt.gz

Dennis replied - the relevant part of what he was replying to is
in his message available here:

> https://www.tuhs.org/Usenet/comp.unix/1985-October/005952.html

Here is the full text of Dennis's note:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------

| tekadg!davidl writes, at considerable length and with widespread distribution:
|
| > ... Socially, Usenix is like a
| > spherical glob, with a handful of original software authors at the center (the
| > ones who wrote the original code, like the developers of Unix, C, etc. - the
| > ones whose names are always being bandied about). Around these, there's a
| > surrounding shell of what has been aptly called "Unix groupies" trying to
| > associate themselves, both logically and physically, with the "illuminati"
| > at the center.  Typically, these loathsome little insects are system
| > administrators and hackers who spend their time either on the net or
| > endlessly rewriting UUCP or NROFF or, or, or... And, I'm told, there are
| > even some real, honest-to-goodness groupies (of the rock-star variety) who
| > spend their time trying get near the "inner circle" for - never mind...
| > it's believable, though -  it's certainly consistent with the demeanor of
| > the rest of the proceedings.
|
| Usenix conventions, which are undeniably and appropriately narrow-minded
| and introverted, sport more than a few bores, but are notable for absence
| of loathsome insects.  Even the irascible Rob Pike remarked after Portland,
| "Goodness, there were very few loathesome insects there."
|
| They are also marked by a lack of honest-to-goodness rock-star-variety
| groupies.  Believe me on this.  The free cocaine was nowhere in evidence,
| I consumed no cigar-sized hash bombers, the insistent, complaisant
| lovelies were elsewhere by the time I got back from dinner.  Indeed, the
| plaster of Paris I had obtained in case anyone wanted a cast of my genitals
| went entirely unused.
|
| Still, I understand the party that AT&T threw in Washington
| was pretty wild.  Too bad I missed it.
|
| 	DMR

All this was in October 1985.

At the Atlanta USENIX in the summer of 1986, there was some kind of
contest (I don't remember what) and they announced (undoubtedly as a joke)
that one of the prizes was "a plaster cast of Dennis Ritchie's genitals."
It got a good laugh.

Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-07-02 19:55 Paul Ruizendaal
From: Paul Ruizendaal @ 2018-07-02 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Not quite a dmr anecdote, but maybe this list can clear up a statement that dmr reputedly made: “streams means something different when shouted”.
I think the claim goes back to around the turn of the millennium and as far as I know it is not disputed that dmr either said this or could have said this.

Now, from reading this list over the years my understanding of the above statement is that dmr designed streams as a mechanism to clean up the kernel handling of line disciplines in a context of access via a terminal and/or modem, and that STREAMS developed this into a way to integrate network stacks with the kernel — hence streams meant something different when shouted.

The original dmr paper (1984) on streams (http://cm.bell-labs.co/who/dmr/st.html) seemed to support this understanding, focussing on terminal handling in its discussion. Also, near the end it says: "Streams are linear connections; by themselves, they support no notion of multiplexing, fan-in or fan-out. [...] It seems likely that a general multiplexing mechanism could help in both cases, but again, I do not yet know how to design it.” This seemed to exclude usage for networking, which is typically multiplexed.

However, now that the V8 sources are available it is clear that the streams mechanism was used (by dmr?) to implement TCP/IP networking. He explains how that tallies with the above quote on multiplexing in a 1985 usenet post: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/net.unix-wizards/subject$3Astreams/net.unix-wizards/b7W_j_0qASU
(if the post by dmr does not immediately appear, click on the 8-10-85 post by 'd...@dutoit.uucp’ to make it fold out: this is the message I refer to).

The way I read this usenet post, dmr was actually reasonably content with implementing a network stack on top of (lowercase) streams. This then implies that he was alluding to something else when saying “streams means something different when shouted” (or maybe he never said it).

Any opinions on what he might have meant?

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-07-01 16:35 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2018-07-01 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Greg Lehey:

  No, that was Peter Weinberger, as dmr confirmed.  There's quite a
  story behind what happened to the stencil.  I'll let Warren tell it,
  but if you want to cheat, check
  http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-oct2002.php#17

====

There are many stories behind the use and abuse of Peter's
face.  The canonical source is

http://spinroot.com/pico/pjw.html

spinroot.com belongs to Gerard Holzman, who was involved
with many creative uses of digitized photography during
my time at the Labs.  (Also much work on software reliability,
which he now pursues at JPL.)

The org chart with every face replaced by Peter's was on
the wall of the UNIX Room when I first visited 1127 in
February 1984.  I suspect it appeared not long after Peter
became a department head, but I don't know just when that
was.

Peter didn't really take the alleged glory of being a
department head all that seriously, just the responsibilities.
One of the official glories was that Department Heads were
supposed to get carpet in their offices, atop the standard
linoleum tiles.  Peter didn't want it, and (as he told me
the story later) had to argue with Facilities a lot not to get it.
Somehow this resulted in a trophy: a small square of carpet
stuck to the wall outside his office.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-07-01 11:42           ` ron
From: ron @ 2018-07-01 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Dennis always answered his emails and was very humble in the light of most
of the UNIX guys holding him in god like status.   I remember he'd sit with
us in the lobby or cocktail lounge or by the pool at the USENIX meetings.
Just happy to be hanging out with the rest of us.    One year, while I was
working for the Army and we were getting a lot of internal pressure to use
Ada, I made a bunch of t-shirts up that had Ada Lovelace with a big red
circle/slash (NO) on it.   I pointed out that at the time there were several
government projects to write internet routers contracted out and all
mandated Ada.   I developed one in house at the Army and wrote it in C (it
also used media with UNIX boot blocks on it).

I gave Dennis one of these shirts at a conference.   I saw subsequent
pictures of him wearing it.

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-07-01 11:34         ` ron
From: ron @ 2018-07-01 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dave Horsfall', 'The Eunuchs Hysterical Society'

Printf didn't use nargs (and still doesn't).    It looked at the presence of the % markers and assumes that’s how many arguments were passed.
It worked on the PDP-11 or any similar stack calling sequence.   It was only after C got moved to some of the more varied architectures that
VARARGS/STDARG was implemented to achieve some level of variable argument portability.   Even so, there's not a concept of "nargs" to this day.

The PDP-11 nargs was a kludge that looked at the calling code.   This obviously didn't work if you were in split I-D mode (where you couldn't address the
i-space).    There was a published hack to rewire the processor to allow MTPI to work in user mode from your OWN I space to make it work.

From: Arrigo Triulzi @ 2018-07-01  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On 1 Jul 2018, at 07:29, Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2018, Arrigo Triulzi wrote:
>
>> As I was told this visitor was the R in the “K&R” book I felt I could finally ask “someone who knew” how printf() worked with a variable number of arguments.
>
> It wouldn't've used that awful nargs() call at that time, would it?  I was glad when that horror was removed.

I was about 10 at the time, I hope you will excuse me for not recalling this detail. I just recall the way that he used my “arrows in the street” to explain how printf() walked through the argument list carrying an arrow on its shoulder, then did what it had to do until it got to the end of the street. As you can probably imagine it is still how I visualise the workings of printf() to this day. Note that this was pure K&R, pre-ANSI C varargs.

Arrigo

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-07-01  5:29       ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-07-01  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2018-07-01  4:17           ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-07-01  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arrigo Triulzi; +Cc: tuhs

On Sun, Jul 01, 2018 at 01:29:24AM +0200, Arrigo Triulzi wrote:
> On 1 Jul 2018, at 00:42, Arthur Krewat <krewat@kilonet.net> wrote:
> > On 6/30/2018 7:44 AM, Arrigo Triulzi wrote:
> >>  I remember that he asked me if I understood pointers, I told him it was like putting a big arrow which you could move around, pointing to a house instead of actually using the house number and he smiled then taking the explanation on from there.
> >>
> > ok, where's the "Like" button?!?!??!?
> >
> > Just kidding, all, but what a wonderful story.
>
> By all accounts he was a wonderful person.

He really was.  Always willing to teach someone who wasn't up to speed yet
but was trying.  That story about the 10 year old should be on a plaque
somewhere.
--
---

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-06-30 23:29         ` Arrigo Triulzi
From: Arrigo Triulzi @ 2018-06-30 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Krewat; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2018-06-30 22:42       ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2018-06-30 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

@ 2018-06-30 18:43   ` Steve Johnson
From: Steve Johnson @ 2018-06-30 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Forrest, tuhs

Another DMR memory.   We typically worked in the "Unix Room" up in
the attic, where there were a number of terminals and (at the time)
one phone line.  I remember overhearing Dennis talking on the phone
quite patiently with a guy from another location who wanted some
feature added to C or Unix (don't remember which).  Dennis explained
several time why the feature was difficult to implement, wouldn't
solve his problem, and could, in some cases, lock up the operating
system.   The guy on the other end kept arguing.   Finally Dennis
suggested that he arrange a meeting so we could better understand the
problem and get some other ideas on how to solve it.   "Oh, I
couldn't do that!  We have to make a decision by 5PM today!"
Dennis sighed and said "You mean, this problem is so important and
urgent that you don't have time to think about it?"

From: John P. Linderman @ 2018-06-30 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Peter and the magnets

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 7:55 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jun 2018, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
> We do have ken on the list, so I won't be presumptious to ask for
>> ken-related anecdotes, but would anybody like to share some dmr anecdotes?
>>

> Wasn't it Dennis whose morphed picture featured on a t-shirt at an AUUG
> conference in the 80s?  I can't seem to find a reference right now,,,
>
> -- Dave

[-- Attachment #2: pjw.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 130047 bytes --]

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-06-30 11:44     ` Arrigo Triulzi
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Arrigo Triulzi @ 2018-06-30 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Johnson; +Cc: tuhs

My memories of dmr are limited to one encounter when he came to Italy, more precisely to the University of Milan, in the late 70s or early 80s (cannot remember exactly, there’s a picture in Peter Salus’ book though).

I was a child, had been introduced to Lisp as part of an experiment in teaching to primary school children but my dad, at the time teaching robotics in the nascent “Cybernetics” group of the Physics department, was starting me on C.

As I was told this visitor was the R in the “K&R” book I felt I could finally ask “someone who knew” how printf() worked with a variable number of arguments. I was at best 10 and dmr patiently sat down and explained it to me in terms I could understand. I remember that he asked me if I understood pointers, I told him it was like putting a big arrow which you could move around, pointing to a house instead of actually using the house number and he smiled then taking the explanation on from there.

I wish I could have met him again in my life to thank him for that time he dedicated to a child to demystify printf().

Arrigo

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-06-30  1:45 ` Jon Forrest
From: Jon Forrest @ 2018-06-30  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

@ 2018-06-30  1:31 Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-06-30  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I've told this story so much that my kids hear me start it and go "is that
the Unix guy?  Yeah, we've heard this".  And I think many of you have heard
it as well so you can hit delete, but for the newbies to the list here goes.

Decades ago I was a grad student at UWisc and pretty active on comp.arch
and comp.unix-wizards (I was not a wizard but I've lived through, and
written up, the process of restoring a Masscomp after having done some
variant of rm -rf / so a stupid wizard wanna be?)

From time to time, some Unix kernel thing would come up and I'd email
...!research!dmr and ask him how that worked.

He *always* replied.  To me, a nobody.  All he cared was that the question
wasn't retarded (and I bet to him some of mine were but the questions showed
that I was thinking and that was good enough for him).  I remember a long
discussion about something, I think PIPEBUF but not sure, and at some point
he sent me his phone number and said "call me".  Email was too slow.

So yeah, one of the inventors of Unix was cool enough to take some young
nobody and educate him.  That's Dennis.

I've tried to pass some of that energy forward to my kids, telling them
that if you want to learn, smart people like that and they will help you.

Dennis was a humble man, a smart man, and a dude willing to pass on what
he knew.

I miss him and cherish the interactions I had with him.

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-06-30  0:50   ` Steve Johnson
From: Steve Johnson @ 2018-06-30  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ches@Cheswick.com, Warren Toomey; +Cc: tuhs

That so sounds like Dennis!   I can add a couple of other things
about Dennis, outside of work.

A group of us used to go into New York from time to time to take in a
concert, and Dennis was often one of the group.   One time in the
dead of winter, we went to an Early Music concert in a cold drafty
church in winter--it was part of a series called "Music before
1620".    The musicians were almost unable to get their instruments
to stay in tune, and the whole thing was kind of train wreck.   On
the way back, Dennis said "It's clear that pitch was invented sometime
after 1620."

On another occasion, we found ourselves in Brooklyn having blintzes
outside on picnic tables.  My 4-year-old son was with us.  My wife
was telling people how my son was starting to ask questions about
sex.   My son, hearing his name, said "What's sex?".   Dennis said
"See."

A work-related anecdote.  There was a manager in USG who managed to
get on the nerves of many of us in Research.   One day we came in to
discover that he had been promoted and took a job in Japan.   We
were discussing this at lunch, and someone said "Why Japan?".
Dennis said "They haven't opened their office on the moon yet."

Steve

PS:  I certainly remember the belt buckle quip.  That chip was so
big that they could not finish the test patterns before the chip came
back.   So they generated random tests and compared the results
until they found two that were the same.  They concluded that these
two chips were fabricated correctly, and went on from there.   The
chip had a number of flaws, and we scrambled to fix them in
software.  One was that the branch instruction garbled the last 4
bits of the branch target.   So one of the guys hacked the assembler
to make every label the center of a "target" of 32 NOP instructions.
We were able to get the chip to run, and even run an asteroid
game....  The guy to made the fix put up a sign outside of his office
that said "BellMac chips fixed while U wait."   The same VP was
rather PO'd about this as well...

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2018-06-30  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Saturday, 30 June 2018 at  9:55:02 +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2018, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
>> We do have ken on the list, so I won't be presumptious to ask for
>> ken-related anecdotes, but would anybody like to share some dmr
>> anecdotes?
>
> Wasn't it Dennis whose morphed picture featured on a t-shirt at an AUUG
> conference in the 80s?  I can't seem to find a reference right now,,,

No, that was Peter Weinberger, as dmr confirmed.  There's quite a
story behind what happened to the stencil.  I'll let Warren tell it,
but if you want to cheat, check
http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-oct2002.php#17

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-06-29 23:55 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-06-29 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2018-06-29 12:51   ` John P. Linderman
From: John P. Linderman @ 2018-06-29 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ches@Cheswick.com; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I heard about this second hand, so anyone with first hand knowledge should
feel free to correct me.

When AT&T took an ill-fated plunge into chip manufacture, our chips were on
the large side. Dennis noted that "When Intel spoils a wafer, they turn the
chips into tie-tacks. When we spoil a wafer, we turn the chips into belt
buckles". This so infuriated the VP in charge of manufacture that he wanted
"this dmr guy" fired. Needless to say, that didn't happen.

@ 2018-06-29 10:53 ` ches@Cheswick.com
From: ches@Cheswick.com @ 2018-06-29 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: tuhs

Dennis, do you have any recommendations on good books to use the learn C?

I don’t know, I never had to learn C.   -dmr

Message by ches. Tappos by iPad.

> On Jun 29, 2018, at 3:53 AM, Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:
>
> We do have ken on the list, so I won't be presumptious to ask for ken-related
> anecdotes, but would anybody like to share some dmr anecdotes?
>
> I never met Dennis in person, but he was generous with his time about my
> interest in Unix history; and also with sharing the material he still had.
>
> Dennis was very clever, though. He would bring out a new artifact and say:
> well, here's what I still have of X. Pity it will never execute again, sigh.
>
> I'm sure he knew that I would take that as a challenge. Mind you, it worked,
> which is why we now have the first Unix kernel in C, the 'nsys' kernel, and
> the first two C compilers, in executable format.
>
> Any other good anecdotes?
>
> Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?
@ 2018-06-29  7:53 Warren Toomey