On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 at 9:47:44 -0400, John P. Linderman wrote: > "Grep" as a verb expanded beyond files. I recall a friend saying they were > "grepping for their keys on the dresser". It's interesting to note that the Oxford English Dictionary has included grep`both as a noun and as a verb in 2003. From the noun: Etymology: < grep, a string of characters used as a command in the Unix operating system < the initial letters of global(ly) search regular expression print. The string g/re/p (where re stands for the regular expression searched for) was earlier used in a Unix text editor as the syntax for a sequence of commands performing the same operation as grep. Here your usage: 2. trans. slang (usually humorous). Of a person: to search; to scan visually. 1984 The Doctor's New Clothes in net.tv.drwho (Usenet newsgroup) 16 Aug. Peter Davison happened across his clothes while grepping the TARDIS for the Zero Room. Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA