On 2018-Sep-23 17:17:35 -0400, Paul Winalski wrote: >In general, a CISC instruction set encoding can express the same >algorithm more compactly than a RISC instruction set. Once CISC >technology solved the instruction pipelining and decoding problem, it >gained an advantage over RISC architectures such as Alpha because the >instruction set stream was less verbose. RISC architectures have another advantage that instructions are always aligned on known boundaries (typically 2 or 4 bytes). This simplifies the logic around (pre-)fetching instructions. >Modern x86 designs have a >bit of logic stuck in one corner that translates the x86 instruction >stream into a string of RISC-style micro-operations. Where "modern" is "this century". ... >the best of both worlds--the compactness of a CISC instruction stream >and the simpler and faster circuitry of RISC. In the specific case of x86, I would dispute that. The various warts in the x86 instruction set and "architecture" mean that x86 code density is relatively low and on a par with SPARC code. I agree that the overall performance is impressive but that is more a measure of the abilities of Intel's engineers than the overall approach. -- Peter Jeremy