[adding groff@gnu back into CC] I think the TUHS guys might be wondering where this topic came from. :) At 2018-11-08T11:30:46-0500, Doug McIlroy wrote: > > I have a vague intuition right now that the hyphenation decisions > > ... > > should be accessible without having to invoke the output driver. > > Would't that require some way to detect a hyphenation event? > Offhand, I can't think of a way to do that. That's a harder problem than I was trying to crack; I just wanted to be able to ask the underlying *roff where it _might_ hyphenate a word, not where it actually ended up hyphenating one on the output. > But if you know in advance what word's hyphenation is in > question, you could switch environments, use the .ll 1u > trick in a diversion, and base your decision on the result. That had not occurred to me; I am not au fait with diversions. Thanks! -- Regards, Branden