The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Knuth and Unix
@ 2019-01-16 15:57 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2019-01-16 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Tsort was  a direct reference to Knuth's recognition and
christening of topological sort as a worthy software component.

This is a typical example of the interweaving of R and D
which characterized the culture of Bell Labs. Builders
and thinkers were acutely aware of each other, and often
were two faces of one person. Grander examples may be
seen in the roles that  automata theory and formal languages
played in Unix. (Alas, these are the subjects of projected
Knuthian volumes that are still over the horizon.)

Doug

* [TUHS] Knuth and Unix
@ 2019-01-10  0:19 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2019-01-10  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Time for a new thread :-)

As today is Knuth's birthday (posted over in COFF), I was wondering (in
the cesspool that is my mind) how much of Unix would have been influenced
by Knuth?  We have qsort() of course (which Hoare actually wrote, based on
one of Knuth's algorithms), but I'm guessing that Ken and Dennis would
have been familiar with his work?

Or am I spreading fake news again? :-)  Look, I love being corrected if I
make a mistake on a technical mailing list, so fire at will if need be...

-- Dave