The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] V6 networking & alarm syscall
@ 2019-01-13 10:52 Paul Ruizendaal
From: Paul Ruizendaal @ 2019-01-13 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

> Where did you find the BBN TCP/IP stack?

Easiest place to find it is the TUHS Unix Tree page:
https://www.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=BBN-Vax-TCP

Several tapes of it survived in the CSRG archives, currently held by the Bancroft Library at Berkeley.

A late version of the tcp/ip routines survived at the Stanford SAIL archives, currently online here:
https://www.saildart.org/[IP,SYS]/
(mixed in with sources for WAITS).

A much evolved version is in the BSD SCCS history:
https://github.com/weiss/original-bsd/tree/master/sys/deprecated/bbnnet
Note that the location ‘deprecated’ is where the code ended up. Back in 1985 it would have been in the normal build path, but SCCS does not preserve that.

Paul

* Re: [TUHS] V6 networking & alarm syscall
@ 2019-01-13 15:39 ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2019-01-13 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Ruizendaal; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 3:53 AM Paul Ruizendaal <pnr@planet.nl> wrote:

> > Where did you find the BBN TCP/IP stack?
>
> Easiest place to find it is the TUHS Unix Tree page:
> https://www.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=BBN-Vax-TCP

And was the BBN V6 version ever ported to V7?

Several tapes of it survived in the CSRG archives, currently held by the
> Bancroft Library at Berkeley.

Are those online? Or an index? Google is failing me (or my google skillz
aren't mad this morning).

> A late version of the tcp/ip routines survived at the Stanford SAIL
> archives, currently online here:
> https://www.saildart.org/[IP,SYS]/
> (mixed in with sources for WAITS).

Now that's quite interesting. There's even a C compiler in [C,SYS].

> A much evolved version is in the BSD SCCS history:
> https://github.com/weiss/original-bsd/tree/master/sys/deprecated/bbnnet
> Note that the location ‘deprecated’ is where the code ended up. Back in
> 1985 it would have been in the normal build path, but SCCS does not
> preserve that.

I wonder if anybody has gone to the trouble of trying to recreate the
movement of these sys/deprecated things into real moves to deprecated
coupled with the commit that removed them from the files files, or if any
work has been done to make the tree buildable with these obscure things...

Warner

* [TUHS] Old Unix source code DVD [was: V6 networking & alarm syscall]
@ 2019-01-16 23:13 ` Paul Ruizendaal
From: Paul Ruizendaal @ 2019-01-16 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org list

>> Where did you find the BBN TCP/IP stack?

> Several tapes of it survived in the CSRG archives, currently held by the Bancroft Library at Berkeley.

I just discovered that Kirk McKusick has made a new DVD that covers a much broader set of software than his earlier 4 CD set:
https://www.mckusick.com/csrg/
(see bottom of the page, one but last paragraph).

This new DVD includes the surviving BBN VAX TCP source code; it is not on the earlier 4 CD set.

Paul

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Paul Ruizendaal <pnr@planet.nl>
> Subject: Re: [TUHS] V6 networking & alarm syscall
> Date: 13 January 2019 11:52:19 GMT+01:00
> To: TUHS main list <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
>
>> Where did you find the BBN TCP/IP stack?
>
> Easiest place to find it is the TUHS Unix Tree page:
> https://www.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=BBN-Vax-TCP
>
> Several tapes of it survived in the CSRG archives, currently held by the Bancroft Library at Berkeley.
>
> A late version of the tcp/ip routines survived at the Stanford SAIL archives, currently online here:
> https://www.saildart.org/[IP,SYS]/
> (mixed in with sources for WAITS).
>
> A much evolved version is in the BSD SCCS history:
> https://github.com/weiss/original-bsd/tree/master/sys/deprecated/bbnnet
> Note that the location ‘deprecated’ is where the code ended up. Back in 1985 it would have been in the normal build path, but SCCS does not preserve that.
>
> Paul

* Re: [TUHS] Old Unix source code DVD [was: V6 networking & alarm syscall]
@ 2019-01-17 13:19   ` reed
From: reed @ 2019-01-17 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Ruizendaal; +Cc: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org list

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019, Paul Ruizendaal wrote:

> I just discovered that Kirk McKusick has made a new DVD that covers a
> much broader set of software than his earlier 4 CD set:
> https://www.mckusick.com/csrg/
> (see bottom of the page, one but last paragraph).
>
> This new DVD includes the surviving BBN VAX TCP source code; it is not
> on the earlier 4 CD set.

Is there a list of the DVD's contents? I didn't see any details of this
on the webpage. (I have the four CD-ROM set which does have some of
the BBN code.)

* Re: [TUHS] Old Unix source code DVD [was: V6 networking & alarm syscall]
@ 2019-01-17 14:38     ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2019-01-17 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy C. Reed; +Cc: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org list, Paul Ruizendaal

Jeremy,

A few of us are trying to unravel some of the mysteries of what is what.
 The original 4 CD's has an early version of the TCP stack from BBN
(although the provenance of same is not exactly clear).  That is the code
that Warren has in the archives.   Since he originally published the CD
Kirk obtained some other things (as Paul mentioned).   Paul and I are both
trying to sift through what Kirk has, although again provenance is
unfortunately not as clean as we would like.  The bad news is that Rob
Gurwitz (was the original author of the BBN IP/TCP stack) does not seem to
have tapes himself and has pointed Paul and I at Kirk's archives for now.
The question is can we figure out what it what.

Paul has done a great job of looking at some old DARPA qtr reports that BBN
sent to ARPA that helps to put some structure around some of this.  Then
using dates from there and some of the files, plus the memory of some of
the protagonists involved, we can try to sort it out.

We'll let you all know what we learn ASAP.   FWIW:  Folks have been helping
Warren get it right in his pages.   For instance, his old page on the BBN
TCP, had some wording that was easy to misconstrue.   That data is being
clarified so the reader does not in-advertently rewrite history.   We'll
continue to do that when we can.   I do hope that when the dust settles, we
see the historical archives as complete and correct as possible.

Clem
ᐧ

@ 2019-01-17 19:33     ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2019-01-17 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reed; +Cc: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org list, Paul Ruizendaal

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 07:19:06AM -0600, reed@reedmedia.net wrote:
> Is there a list of the DVD's contents? I didn't see any details of this
> on the webpage. (I have the four CD-ROM set which does have some of
> the BBN code.)

Have a look here:
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/CSRG_CDs/

Cheers, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Old Unix source code DVD [was: V6 networking & alarm syscall]
@ 2019-01-17 20:00       ` reed
From: reed @ 2019-01-17 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org list

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019, Warren Toomey wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 07:19:06AM -0600, reed@reedmedia.net wrote:
> > Is there a list of the DVD's contents? I didn't see any details of this
> > on the webpage. (I have the four CD-ROM set which does have some of
> > the BBN code.)
>
> Have a look here:
> https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/CSRG_CDs/

Thanks!  Sorry I sent my question before reading other threads :)

I see there is a discount if already purchased the older set. Thanks for
info