On 2019-Feb-03 15:58:39 -0500, Clem Cole wrote: >Portability was designed as an >>import<< idea, and they tried to keep you >from exporting by getting you to use 'value add.' This is definitely the approach used by FSF/GNU - witness gcc and bash. On 2019-Feb-04 09:07:52 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote: >And yes, I know about POSIX compatibility, but so is Linux, and it's >different enough from Unix to be damned annoying. IMO, POSIX wouldn't exist without Unix. On 2019-Feb-04 03:57:40 +0000, Jason Stevens wrote: >What would be the portable OS to rule them all?  TripOS is the best I can imagine.  BCPL everywhere. That was my thought as well, though TripOS started in 1976 so it's likely that the development team were aware of Unix and make have taken some of its ideas onboard. That said, Unix was not portable to start with. I think that the important parts were that the source was readily available within academia, it was written in a high level language and it was small enough to be understood. -- Peter Jeremy