The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] VCF East
@ 2019-05-14 13:41 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2019-05-14 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

About the creator of the sensing chessboard: It was Dave Hagelbarger,
as Rob said, not Joe Condon as I wrongly recalled.

Doug

* Re: [TUHS] VCF East
@ 2019-05-14 19:36 ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2019-05-14 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug McIlroy; +Cc: tuhs

Hi,

Doug wrote:
> About the creator of the sensing chessboard: It was Dave Hagelbarger,
> as Rob said

And if others are thinking Dave sounds familiar, like me, it's because
he was co-developer of the CARDIAC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CARDboard_Illustrative_Aid_to_Computation

--
Cheers, Ralph.

* Re: [TUHS] VCF East
@ 2019-05-14 21:01   ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2019-05-14 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Ralph Corderoy writes:
> Hi,
>
> And if others are thinking Dave sounds familiar, like me, it's because
> he was co-developer of the CARDIAC.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CARDboard_Illustrative_Aid_to_Computation
>
> --
> Cheers, Ralph.

Dave was one of my favorite people in my group.  He was the first person
that met who was absolutely brilliant in technology but couldn't spare any
cycles for things like tying his shoes.

Another interesting thing that he designed was the keyboard that eventually
got hooked up to the music playing version of the digital filter setup that
Hal Alles and Jim Kaiser designed.  It had a ribbon cable the length of the
keyboard that was fed by a binary pattern, and each key had an antenna that
moved across the cable when it was pressed making it possible to determine
how far a key was pressed down.

Jon

* Re: [TUHS] VCF East
@ 2019-05-14 21:48     ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2019-05-14 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Steinhart; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Dave had lots of spare cycles. He was almost all fun. He tied his shoelaces
and his bow tie every day.

-rob

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 7:02 AM Jon Steinhart <jon@fourwinds.com> wrote:

> Ralph Corderoy writes:
> > Hi,
> >
> > And if others are thinking Dave sounds familiar, like me, it's because
> > he was co-developer of the CARDIAC.
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CARDboard_Illustrative_Aid_to_Computation
> >
> > --
> > Cheers, Ralph.
>
> Dave was one of my favorite people in my group.  He was the first person
> that met who was absolutely brilliant in technology but couldn't spare any
> cycles for things like tying his shoes.
>
> Another interesting thing that he designed was the keyboard that eventually
> got hooked up to the music playing version of the digital filter setup that
> Hal Alles and Jim Kaiser designed.  It had a ribbon cable the length of the
> keyboard that was fed by a binary pattern, and each key had an antenna that
> moved across the cable when it was pressed making it possible to determine
> how far a key was pressed down.
>
> Jon

* Re: [TUHS] VCF East
@ 2019-05-13 16:26             ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2019-05-13 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Rob Pike writes:

> Ken tells me (and I now remember) that the photo in the article was of a
> sort of input device, a board built by Dave Hagelbarger that sensed where
> the pieces were so could digitize moves.
>
> -rob

My extremely fuzzy recollection is that Dave had an LC tuned circuit in the
base in each chess piece and an antenna coil underneath each square on the
board.

Jon

* Re: [TUHS] VCF East
@ 2019-05-13 12:48           ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2019-05-13 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Corderoy; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 10:44 PM Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>

> https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-history/silicon-revolution/in-1983-this-bell-labs-computer-was-the-first-machine-to-become-a-chess-master
> >
> > That photo is not Belle, or at least not the Belle machine that the
> > article is about.  Belle is in a white wooden box about the size of a
> > bar fridge, with a stylized blue and gold logo on the side.
>
> Here's a picture that matches.
> http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=23230
>
> The one in the article seems to come from
> http://www.peteradamsphoto.com/belle-chess-machine/
>
> --
> Cheers, Ralph.

* Re: [TUHS] VCF East
@ 2019-05-12 12:36         ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2019-05-12 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2019-05-12 12:09       ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2019-05-12 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arno Griffioen; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 6:21 PM Arno Griffioen <arno.griffioen@ieee.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 07:33:48AM -0700, David wrote:
> > Loved the talk, and getting more information about Belle.
>
> At the risk of going off-topic TUHS-wise.. This month:
>

> https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-history/silicon-revolution/in-1983-this-bell-labs-computer-was-the-first-machine-to-become-a-chess-master
>

>                                                         Bye, Arno.

* Re: [TUHS] VCF East
@ 2019-05-12  8:07     ` Arno Griffioen
From: Arno Griffioen @ 2019-05-12  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2019-05-10  4:45       ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2019-05-10  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Martin; +Cc: tuhs

On Tuesday,  7 May 2019 at 10:04:41 -0700, Anthony Martin wrote:
> arnold@skeeve.com once said:
>> Can you clue in those of us who are less mathematically (or whatever)
>> inclined?
>
> You are not expected to understand this [t-shirt].

I found that particularly clever.  It's not Greek, as far as I can
tell, but who cares?  You are not expected to understand it.

Of course, the real clue was the code (Sixth Edition
/usr/sys/ken/slp.c, lines 325 and on).

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [TUHS] VCF East
@ 2019-05-07 17:04     ` Anthony Martin
From: Anthony Martin @ 2019-05-07 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: tuhs

arnold@skeeve.com once said:
> Can you clue in those of us who are less mathematically (or whatever)
> inclined?

You are not expected to understand this [t-shirt].

  Anthony

* Re: [TUHS] VCF East
@ 2019-05-07 16:51   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2019-05-07 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossd; +Cc: tuhs

Dan Cross <crossd@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, that's really great! I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I didn't get
> Ken's shirt until 30 minutes into the talk....

Can you clue in those of us who are less mathematically (or whatever)
inclined?

Thanks,

Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] VCF East
@ 2019-05-07 16:36 ` Angelo Papenhoff
From: Angelo Papenhoff @ 2019-05-07 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 07/05/19, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> The 'grep' story was amusing, but historically, probably the most valuable
> thing was the detail on the origins of B - DMR's paper on early C ("The
> Development of the C Language") mentions the FORTRAN, but doesn't give the
> detail on why that got canned, and B appeared instead.

I was also quite surprised by that. No mention of BCPL...

Great video, really loved it.

* Re: [TUHS] VCF East
@ 2019-05-07 16:32 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2019-05-07 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: "John P. Linderman"

    > Brian interviewing Ken

Ah, thanks for that. I had intended going (since I've never met Ken), but
alas, my daughter's family had previously scheduled to visit that weekend, so
I couldn't go.

The 'grep' story was amusing, but historically, probably the most valuable
thing was the detail on the origins of B - DMR's paper on early C ("The
Development of the C Language") mentions the FORTRAN, but doesn't give the
detail on why that got canned, and B appeared instead.

       Noel

* Re: [TUHS] VCF East
@ 2019-05-07 14:33   ` David
From: David @ 2019-05-07 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Loved the talk, and getting more information about Belle.

Saw the shirt right away, even understood the greek.

	David

> On May 7, 2019, at 7:17 AM, Dan Cross <crossd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Wow, that's really great! I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I didn't get Ken's shirt until 30 minutes into the talk....
>
> On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 8:51 AM John P. Linderman <jpl.jpl@gmail.com <mailto:jpl.jpl@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Brian interviewing Ken <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY6q5dv_B-o>

* Re: [TUHS] VCF East
@ 2019-05-07 14:17 ` Dan Cross