The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: George Ross <gdmr@inf.ed.ac.uk>
To: Rico Pajarola <rp@servium.ch>
Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Quotas - did anyone ever use them?
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 08:16:55 +0100	[thread overview]

>  And of course we
> found all kinds of tricks to get around those quotas (e.g. "giving away"
> large files to someone with leftover quota), which is why on many systems
> you're not allowed to chown files if you're not root.

When I took over running a labful of SunOS machines that were used by our
CS students, one of the first thing I did was turn off a few things in the
system call vector for UIDs higher than a "staff" cutoff.  That included
things like chown, chmod and setting the umask.  As well as making it
harder for them to share solutions, it also had the advantage of making
other systems more tempting targets...
--
George D M Ross MSc PhD CEng MBCS CITP
University of Edinburgh, School of Informatics,

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.