The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Montgomery's emacs
@ 2019-06-11 15:22 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2019-06-11 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Pat Barron

    > Is Warren Montgomery's emacs available, like, anywhere...

I've got a copy on the dump of the MIT PWB system. I'm actually supposed to
resurrect it for someone, IIRC, (the MIT system was .. idiosyncratic, so it'll
take a bit of tweaking), but haven't gotten to it yet.

Does anyone else have the source, or is mine the only one left?

     Noel

* Re: [TUHS] Montgomery's emacs
@ 2019-06-11 15:55 ` Mary Ann Horton Gmail
From: Mary Ann Horton Gmail @ 2019-06-11 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Warren's emacs would have been part of the Bell Labs 'exptools'
(experimental tools) package, which was an internally distributed
package of 3rd party software that wasn't part of the standard UNIX
distributions at the time.  vi/termcap/termlib was also part of exptools.

If exptools isn't preserved anywhere, it would be worthwhile to try to
find it.  Noel - it's possible that's what you have. I can't find it
anywhere else easily.

     Mary Ann

On 6/11/19 8:22 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>      > From: Pat Barron
>
>      > Is Warren Montgomery's emacs available, like, anywhere...
>
> I've got a copy on the dump of the MIT PWB system. I'm actually supposed to
> resurrect it for someone, IIRC, (the MIT system was .. idiosyncratic, so it'll
> take a bit of tweaking), but haven't gotten to it yet.
>
> Does anyone else have the source, or is mine the only one left?
>
>       Noel

* Re: [TUHS] Montgomery's emacs
@ 2019-06-11 17:28 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2019-06-11 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: tuhs

Noel Chiappa writes:
> > Is Warren Montgomery's emacs available, like, anywhere...
>
> I've got a copy on the dump of the MIT PWB system.  [...]  Does anyone
> else have the source, or is mine the only one left?

I have been looking, and all I got so far is something from
http://unixpc.taronga.com/STORE/, and some floppy disk images for the
Unix PC.  Probably binary only.

* Re: [TUHS] Montgomery's emacs
@ 2019-06-11 17:55   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2019-06-11 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: TUHS main list

Reading Lar's emacs thread refilled the memory cache:  s/Toolkit/ToolChest/

ᐧ

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 1:12 PM Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:

> I thought much of the exptools went into something whos name was like the
> AT&T Unix Toolkit Library (that Summit maintained).   It was subscription
> oriented (you paid per tool, but had an unlimited license for it).  This
> was how Korn Shell for $2K and a few other things made it out of Bell - I
> think that eventually, ditroff was moved there instead of being a separate
> distribution. I've now forgotten many of the details - there was a
> build/make replacement IIRC that was there also, many of the Jerq tools and
> games like GBACA and some others were in there.  Thinking about it much of
> the support for Jerq (68000) and Teletype version (BLIT/We32000) may have
> been in the Toolkit library.
> ᐧ
>
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 1:03 PM Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
> wrote:
>
>>     > From: Mary Ann Horton
>>
>>     > Warren's emacs would have been part of the Bell Labs 'exptools'
>>     > (experimental tools) package ... it's possible that's what you have.
>>
>> I don't think so; Warren had been a grad student in our group, and we got
>> it
>> on that basis. I'm pretty sure we didn't have termcap or any of that
>> stuff.
>>
>>    Noel

* Re: [TUHS] Montgomery's emacs
@ 2019-06-11 17:28   ` Brad Spencer
From: Brad Spencer @ 2019-06-11 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: tuhs, jnc

Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> writes:

> I thought much of the exptools went into something whos name was like the
> AT&T Unix Toolkit Library (that Summit maintained).   It was subscription
> oriented (you paid per tool, but had an unlimited license for it).  This
> was how Korn Shell for $2K and a few other things made it out of Bell - I
> think that eventually, ditroff was moved there instead of being a separate
> distribution. I've now forgotten many of the details - there was a
> build/make replacement IIRC that was there also, many of the Jerq tools and
> games like GBACA and some others were in there.  Thinking about it much of
> the support for Jerq (68000) and Teletype version (BLIT/We32000) may have
> been in the Toolkit library.
> ᐧ

nmake ??  I think it may have been called.  I touched something that
matches what is being called "exptools" and the like when I was at 6200
Broad St.  We used nmake and ksh extensively in the software project I
was a part of, and I know I had access to the source for an ancient
version of nmake at one point.  And I remember the subscription thing
too and I seem to recall you had to pay per architecture at least by the
time I was exposed to it.  I got the ancient nmake version compiled on
HP-UX 10.x to get part of the product I was a part of building on HP-UX
10.x.  The official HP-UX 10.x version from the subscription service was
expensive, as I remember things.

There was at least one person in the group who used a version of emacs
that was from the same, or related, source.  I never used it, as I
preferred GNU emacs.

--
Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org

* Re: [TUHS] Montgomery's emacs
@ 2019-06-11 17:12 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2019-06-11 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: TUHS main list

wrote:

>     > From: Mary Ann Horton
>
>     > Warren's emacs would have been part of the Bell Labs 'exptools'
>     > (experimental tools) package ... it's possible that's what you have.
>
> I don't think so; Warren had been a grad student in our group, and we got
> it
> on that basis. I'm pretty sure we didn't have termcap or any of that stuff.
>
>    Noel

* Re: [TUHS] Montgomery's emacs
@ 2019-06-11 17:02 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2019-06-11 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Mary Ann Horton

    > Warren's emacs would have been part of the Bell Labs 'exptools'
    > (experimental tools) package ... it's possible that's what you have.

I don't think so; Warren had been a grad student in our group, and we got it
on that basis. I'm pretty sure we didn't have termcap or any of that stuff.

   Noel

* [TUHS] Montgomery's emacs
@ 2019-06-11 13:59 Pat Barron
From: Pat Barron @ 2019-06-11 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I'm reminded since Erik brought this up...

Is Warren Montgomery's emacs available, like, anywhere...  I used it long
ago on V7m, and I had it on my AT&T 7300 (where it was available as a
binary package).

It's the first emacs I ever used.  I don't recall where we got it for the
PDP-11.  On our system, we had it permission-restricted so only certain
trusted users could use it - basically, people who could be trusted not to
be in it all the time, and not to use it while the system was busy.  We
had an 11/40 with 128K, and 2 or 3 people trying to use Mongomery emacs
would basically crush the system...

In the absence of that, I've always found JOVE to be the next best thing,
as far as being lightweight and sufficently emacs-like.  I actually
install it on almost all of my Linux systems.  Did JOVE ever run on V7?

--Pat.