The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org>
To: Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Testing Mail Connectivity
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 12:50:23 +1000	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 10:26:31AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> Are you still here, Warren?  I did email you, but no reply so far (and no
> reject either, otherwise I would've spotted *that* too).

All, sorry for the off-topic reply and query. I'm posting this here
so that Dave can read it in the web archive. I'm guessing the problem is
the one Dave identified earlier:

> You need to grok Sendmail's log format (and SMTP in general), but it means
> that Minnie connected to my server, waited the requisite time for the greeting
> banner, and then shat herself when she saw my ginormous banner and dropped the
> connection without so much as a good-bye...

i.e.a multiline response to the HELO/EHLO which meets the RFC specs.

> That simple measure, along with the greeting pause and some simple RFC DNS
> checks, block a lot of the crap.

I've just subscribed to the Postfix mailing list, and I'll ask on there
if there is a configuration change I can make to allow my Postfix client
to deal properly with Dave's multiline HELO/EHLO response. And why it can't
at present.

But if someone here already knows, could they let me know?!

Thanks! Warren