The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Running v10
@ 2019-08-30 19:50 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2019-08-30 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

  Check out "Setting Up a Research UNIX System" by Norman Wilson. troff
  sources are in v10.

====

But that assumes you're being given a root image to copy
to the disk initially, no?  We never made a general-purpose
distribution tape; we just made one-off snapshots when someone
wanted a copy of the system in the 10/e era.

Is there a binary root image in Warren's archive?  I forget.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON
(where the weather feels like NJ these days, dammit)

* Re: [TUHS] Running v10
@ 2019-08-30 20:10 ` Angelo Papenhoff
From: Angelo Papenhoff @ 2019-08-30 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 30/08/19, Norman Wilson wrote:
>   Check out "Setting Up a Research UNIX System" by Norman Wilson. troff
>   sources are in v10.
>
> ====
>
> But that assumes you're being given a root image to copy
> to the disk initially, no?  We never made a general-purpose
> distribution tape; we just made one-off snapshots when someone
> wanted a copy of the system in the 10/e era.
>
> Is there a binary root image in Warren's archive?  I forget.

No we don't. Our hope would be to compile things from source and
bootstrap it from v8. I don't know the state of v9, I've seen it
emulated on a sun but if this helps with bootstrapping v10...
We also have sources for Doug's IX in history/ix...maybe that helps too
in some ways.
Or maybe someone who still has v10 running can help out.
I'd really like to see it running, wouldn't it be fitting for the 50th
anniversary?

aap

* Re: [TUHS] Running v10
@ 2019-08-28 16:46                   ` Henry Bent
From: Henry Bent @ 2019-08-28 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Papenhoff; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 03:41, Angelo Papenhoff <aap@papnet.eu> wrote:

> On 28/08/19, Jason Stevens wrote:
> > I don’t recall their being detailed installation instructions like
> v8/v9.  I never noticed the vax boot stuff as it was buried in the tree.
> It’s possible that it’s buildable.  Or it could be incomplete like the Mach
> 2.5 VAX missing system headers….
> >
> > I guess it’s worth trying on whatever should be the parallel BSD system
> if it’s like v8/v9 which needed a BSD machine to bootstrap.
>
> Check out "Setting Up a Research UNIX System" by Norman Wilson. troff
> sources are in v10.

Thanks, I hadn't found that yet.  Unfortunately it assumes that you have a
tape with at least a root and /usr dump, which we do not have.

I have several ideas about how one might go about building the tree using
existing distributions but any further discussion probably isn't
appropriate for this list.  If anyone would like to collaborate please feel
free to contact me off-list.

-Henry

* Re: [TUHS] Running v10
@ 2019-08-28  7:34                 ` Angelo Papenhoff
From: Angelo Papenhoff @ 2019-08-28  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

@ 2019-08-28  4:22               ` Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2019-08-28  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Bent, Angelo Papenhoff; +Cc: TUHS main list

From: Henry Bent @ 2019-08-27 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Papenhoff; +Cc: TUHS main list

On 27/08/19, Rob Pike wrote:
> > I always thought Research 10th Edition was fantastic. Even the 8th
> edition
> > was an improvement on most of its successors. But things flowed another
> > way, with muddy streams mixing in.

* [TUHS] Running v10
@ 2019-08-27 16:05           ` Angelo Papenhoff
From: Angelo Papenhoff @ 2019-08-27 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)