At 2019-09-17T07:46:02-0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote: > To be fair, spectre-multdown-checker is a shell script, and while you > can use tput, that's not super-portable (some versions take termcap > names, some take terminfo names, and the only thing that has been > standardized is "init", "clear", and "reset"), Now that you mention it I do remember Thomas Dickey saying that at some point. > and said script was designed to work on Linux and *BSD systems. In that case I'd query tput through a function that got defined differently based on the output of uname, or tput's own version string output if it could be coaxed into giving me one (Dickey's ncurses tput supports -V for this purpose; I don't know about the BSDs). The thrust is to get that egregious noise out of the output strings as written in the source file so as to preserve their human-readability. Better this: echo "${fg_black}${bg_cyan}STATUS:${normal}" Than: echo "\033[30m\033[43mSTATUS\033[m" ...in which am I more likely to notice typos? Given an editor that lexically analyzes your shell script[1], which is more likely to integrate well with a spell-checker? Regards, Branden [1] Okay, so that turns out to be nearly impossible, at least if you want to recognize every possible construct[2]. [2] https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01890044/