The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Revived!  The 10 Edition spell program!
@ 2019-09-24 17:10 arnold
From: arnold @ 2019-09-24 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: doug

Hello All.

I have revived the 10th edition spell(1) program, allowing it to compile
and run on "modern" systems.

See https://github.com/arnoldrobbins/v10spell ; the README.md gives
an overview of what was done.

Enjoy!

Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] Revived! The 10 Edition spell program!
@ 2019-09-24 17:15 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2019-09-24 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aharon Robbins; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society, Doug McIlroy

Very cool.  Thank you

@ 2019-09-24 17:30   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2019-09-24 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: clemc, arnold; +Cc: tuhs, doug

You're welcome.  Yet Another Labor of Love. :-)

@ 2019-09-24 19:42 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2019-09-24 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: tuhs

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 11:10:37AM -0600, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
> Hello All.
>
> I have revived the 10th edition spell(1) program, allowing it to compile
> and run on "modern" systems.

Great!  I've been using this extensively on my writing, but I've been
using the version that comes with plan9port.  It'll be nice to have a
standalone version.

Thanks!
khm

* Re: [TUHS] Revived!  The 10 Edition spell program!
@ 2019-09-24 19:58   ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2019-09-24 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt H Maier; +Cc: tuhs

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 12:42:13PM -0700, Kurt H Maier wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 11:10:37AM -0600, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
> > Hello All.
> >
> > I have revived the 10th edition spell(1) program, allowing it to compile
> > and run on "modern" systems.
>
> Great!  I've been using this extensively on my writing, but I've been
> using the version that comes with plan9port.  It'll be nice to have a
> standalone version.

How is this better than spell(1) on Linux?

* Re: [TUHS] Revived!  The 10 Edition spell program!
@ 2019-09-24 20:30     ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2019-09-24 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: tuhs

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 12:58:35PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:

> How is this better than spell(1) on Linux?

Assuming you're talking about GNU spell, it suffers from feature creep
(localization stuff, hard-coded markup filters, etc) which makes the
code less pleasant to work with.  I'm not sure why my spellchecker needs
curses support, but GNU spell has it.  Also I don't like having to worry
about licensing cruft when I e.g. copy a binary over to a system at
work.  If I can do my work with 5% the source code, that's generally my
plan.

khm

* Re: [TUHS] Revived!  The 10 Edition spell program!
@ 2019-09-25  6:15       ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2019-09-25  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm, khm; +Cc: tuhs

Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 12:58:35PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> >
> > How is this better than spell(1) on Linux?
>
> Assuming you're talking about GNU spell, it suffers from feature creep
> (localization stuff, hard-coded markup filters, etc) which makes the
> code less pleasant to work with.  I'm not sure why my spellchecker needs
> curses support, but GNU spell has it.  Also I don't like having to worry
> about licensing cruft when I e.g. copy a binary over to a system at
> work.  If I can do my work with 5% the source code, that's generally my
> plan.
>

> khm

It's not clear what 'spell' is --- it differs from distro to distro,
often based on aspell.  Whatever is on Ubuntu doesn't even know
how to use 'sort -u' on its output.

For myself, I don't claim that v10spell is better or worse than anything
else out there; it simply provides another option, especially for fans
of the original Unix code. :-)

Arnold