The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] eqn
@ 2019-10-04  4:20 Larry McVoy
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Larry McVoy @ 2019-10-04  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

So my kid is using LaTex and I'd like to show him what troff can do.
For the record, back when he was born, 20 years ago, I was program
chair for Linux Expo (which sounds like a big deal but all it meant
was I had the job of formatting the proceedings).  LaTex was a big
deal but I pushed people towards troff and the few people that took
the push came back and said "holy crap is this easy".

My kid is a math guy, does anyone have some eqn input and output
that they can share?

Thanks,

--lm

* Re: [TUHS] eqn
@ 2019-10-05  1:59 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2019-10-05  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

> does anyone have some eqn input and output that they can share?

I have a quite elaborate document that uses eqn, pic, and tbl. In
fact one table contains both pic and eqn entries (but not subtables;
Latex beats roff in being recursive). Take a look at
www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~doug/wallpaper.pdf. If you think you'd like
to see the source, just holler.

> he maybe should do Latex

Sadly, math journals often demand Latex, but I've also run into
journals that require Word. I wanted to submit the document above
to a cartography journal until I found out they were in the
Word camp. I was, however, able to convert it to Latex.

At one point the American Instutute of Physics took only roff
(and retypeset other manuscripts--in roff). I don't know what
their practice is q
now.

> Maybe v0 didn't have any manuals?
> I understand they weren't in roff anyways.

No manuals, true. But if there had been they would have been
in some version of roff, just as all Research Unix manuals were.

Doug