The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] bwk
@ 2019-10-11  2:56 Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2019-10-11  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I miss Brian on this list.  I've interacted with him over the years, the
one I remember the most was I was trying to do an awk like interface to a
key/value "database".  I talked to him about it and he sent me ~bwk/awk
which had all the original awk source and the troff source to the awk
book in english and french.

Ken, Doug, Rob, Steve, anyone, could you coax him onto this list?

If you want me to try first I will, I don't know if he remembers me
or not.  But I can try and then maybe one of you follow up?

* Re: [TUHS] bwk
@ 2019-10-11  9:03 ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2019-10-11  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hi Larry,

> I miss Brian on this list.

I too think it would be great if he was, but I suspect if he wanted to
be here, he would already be.  He gets forwarded the odd list email by
some ex-colleagues that want his input on a bit of history and they feed
back his recollection.  By not being here he probably gets a lot more done
with his time.  :-)  Especially with the recent influx of new subscribers
and the possible growth in number of emails and change in signal:noise.

--
Cheers, Ralph.

* Re: [TUHS] bwk
@ 2019-10-11 11:46   ` John P. Linderman
From: John P. Linderman @ 2019-10-11 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Corderoy; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I happen to know that Brian is very busy writing a book/memoir about early
UNIX, coming out very soon. I suspect it is sucking up all his free time.

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 5:04 AM Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> > I miss Brian on this list.
>
> I too think it would be great if he was, but I suspect if he wanted to
> be here, he would already be.  He gets forwarded the odd list email by
> some ex-colleagues that want his input on a bit of history and they feed
> back his recollection.  By not being here he probably gets a lot more done
> with his time.  :-)  Especially with the recent influx of new subscribers
> and the possible growth in number of emails and change in signal:noise.
>
> --
> Cheers, Ralph.

* Re: [TUHS] bwk
@ 2019-10-11 17:37     ` Rodrigo G. López
From: Rodrigo G. López @ 2019-10-11 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

that is great news. i've got all of his books, except the one about Go he
wrote with Donovan. i'll definitely be purchasing that one about UNIX.

@ 2019-10-11 21:10   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2019-10-11 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, ralph

Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> > I miss Brian on this list.
>
> I too think it would be great if he was, but I suspect if he wanted to
> be here, he would already be.  He gets forwarded the odd list email by
> some ex-colleagues that want his input on a bit of history and they feed
> back his recollection.  By not being here he probably gets a lot more done
> with his time.  :-)  Especially with the recent influx of new subscribers
> and the possible growth in number of emails and change in signal:noise.
>
> --
> Cheers, Ralph.

This probably sums it up. I also send him bits and pieces as I think
would interest him.

Besides the book someone mentioned (it's good! I'm one of the reviewers),
he also teaches classes and advises students.

So, the "he'd be here if he wanted to be" is correct.  More's the pity
for us.

Arnold