The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] In Memoriam: John Lions
@ 2019-12-04 23:58 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2019-12-04 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

We lost Dr. John Lions on this day in 1998; he was one of my Comp Sci
lecturers (yes, I helped him write The Book, and yes, you'll find my name
in the back).

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] In Memoriam: John Lions
@ 2019-12-05  4:16 ` Larry McVoy
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Larry McVoy @ 2019-12-05  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

He is a hero.  His notes on early Unix made it understandable to me.

Though I have to say that Doug Comer did an equally good job with his XINU
books.  Do you guys know of Doug?  XINU stands for Xinu is not Unix but
he wrote, by himself, an OS and documented it in his books.  I give him
credit for my desire to have code be really simple and self explanatory.

I'd kinda like to invite him to join us, what do you think?

--
---

* [TUHS] Xinu (was: In Memoriam: John Lions)
@ 2019-12-05  4:31   ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2019-12-05  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Hopefully this still fits the TUHS charter.  I'd be happy to see
followups move to COFF.

On Wednesday,  4 December 2019 at 20:16:53 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> Though I have to say that Doug Comer did an equally good job with
> his XINU books.  Do you guys know of Doug?  XINU stands for Xinu is
> not Unix but he wrote, by himself, an OS and documented it in his
> books.  I give him credit for my desire to have code be really
> simple and self explanatory.

Agreed, modulo (for argument's sake) "equally".  Xinu was the first
book I read on “Unix” internals, and it greatly inspired me.

> I'd kinda like to invite him to join us, what do you think?

Go for it!

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [TUHS] In Memoriam: John Lions
@ 2019-12-05  6:26   ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2019-12-05  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I would second that. His Xinu book was one of the two that helped
demystify operating systems for me.

Wesley Parish

@ 2019-12-05  6:53   ` Thomas Paulsen
From: Thomas Paulsen @ 2019-12-05  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: tuhs

>I'd kinda like to invite him to join us, what do you think?
Thanks a lot. Do it!

* Re: [TUHS] In Memoriam: John Lions
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-12-05 14:16   ` A. P. Garcia
From: A. P. Garcia @ 2019-12-05 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 11:17 PM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:

> He is a hero.  His notes on early Unix made it understandable to me.
>
> Though I have to say that Doug Comer did an equally good job with his XINU
> books.  Do you guys know of Doug?  XINU stands for Xinu is not Unix but
> he wrote, by himself, an OS and documented it in his books.  I give him
> credit for my desire to have code be really simple and self explanatory.
>
> <snip>

A group at Marquette University ported Xinu to run on Linksys/Cisco
home routers. One of the later editions covers it. Pretty sweet.

* Re: [TUHS] Xinu (was: In Memoriam: John Lions)
@ 2019-12-08 10:56     ` Naveen Nathan
From: Naveen Nathan @ 2019-12-08 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

 > On Wednesday,  4 December 2019 at 20:16:53 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > Though I have to say that Doug Comer did an equally good job with
> > his XINU books.  Do you guys know of Doug? [...]

I first heard of Doug Comer on one of my favourite podcasts History of Networking.

He covers his personal history in the development of TCP/IP in the early days
and I think he does touch on a little bit about Xinu, but I may be misremembering.

Definitely worth listening to: https://rule11.tech/history-of-tcp-ip-with-doug-comer/ .

- Naveen