On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 at 10:12:23 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote: > On Tue, 7 Jan 2020, reed@reedmedia.net wrote: > > [...] > >> What happened with XENIX? I know it had some success (I used at least >> one retired system with it), but nothing near the other offerings on the >> PC family. > > I was forced to use Xenix for a contracting job (and hated it, as it > was almost-but-not-quite-Unix, and the differences annoyed me). I did so too in the early 1990s, using (IIRC) "XENIX System V", an attempt to retrofit some System V features to XENIX. It was very limited: it ran in Intel 80386 real mode, so it was limited to 16 MB of memory. The toolchain was excruciating. I think it was based on Microsoft products, and I soon replaced them with GNU software, which had its problems on the platform. The good news: it worked. > Wouldn't Linux have arrived at around that time? You don't say your time. Referring to Jeremy's original message (time frame mid-1980s), no, Linus would have been about 14 at the time. He made the first announcement of what would become Linux on 25 August 1991 (“just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu"). So yes, it was available when I was doing my XENIX work. So was BSD/386, which is what I was using at the time. Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA