On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 at 16:22:41 -0600, reed@reedmedia.net wrote: > On Tue, 7 Jan 2020, Warren Toomey wrote: > >> All, I've uploaded 13 Unix/World magazines from 1984-85 to archive.org. > > Thanks! > > November 1985 issue has an article by Bill Gates. > > Gates wrote that they were optimistic to achieve 400,000 XENIX > installations -- their critical mass -- within 18 months. > > "... IBM has announced XENIX as the multi-user operating sysytem for the > IBM PC-AT." XENIX was initially targeted for the PDP-11, for some reason beyond my understanding. Looking at the Wikipedia page, it seems that the first Intel ports were not aimed at the PC-AT. > "Significantly, at the time the XENIX project was started [mid 1980], > the IBM Personal Computer had not been announced." You don't say where this quote comes from. The use of pluperfect suggests that it's not from the Unix/World article. The PC was announced in August 1981, and the PC-AT was released in August 1984, so the date of the article fits well. Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA