The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Sean Dwyer via TUHS <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
To: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
Cc: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
Subject: Re: [TUHS] wump.c for v6
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 01:35:20 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 04:08:08PM -0500, Clem Cole wrote:

> I will place a bet it is not your v6b idea...  (which was basically V6 plus
> Ken's patch tape - although as Noel and I have decoded some of PWB 1.0 -
> which was based on V6 too -- made it into the wild in a couple of places).
> Anyway, I think you are seeing code output from what was called the
> 'Typesetter C" compiler release which came out before V7 and was needed to
> compile troff *et al.*  which actually what conforms with the original
> K&R.   Indeed, that compiler used libS as the library.

Ahh, that adds an extra wrinkle to the proceedings :) I wasn't aware of this
version, I was just going on what I disassembled and what I could dig up from
unix sources, but neither am I too surprised that there were intermediate
steps in between!

> So, unless anyone else can illuminate, I'm not sure where the first cpp
> that some of us using v6 had originated.

It is as you note, a very confused picture where there was a lot of activity
from several different sources. It's pretty amazing to look at the UNSW and
Usenet archives and see the sheer volume of device and library hacks that were
going on during the v5 and v6 period alone.

On a related question, do we know that sources for code such as the ching
binaries was at least around at the time of the 32V port? I'm unsure when the
sources were lost, was that after V7? A reason I ask is that phx basically
remained untouched but the 32V version of cno was definitely changed in the
early BSDs, although it may have been a binary patch.

--
I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise as they fly by.